Question

Report survey results by CSM

• 15 November 2016
  • 5 replies

We built a CSM satisfaction survey and sent it out through Gainsight.  We are now trying to build a report that will show the average rating by CSM.  I am having a hard time doing this.  I do Show me: Answer Name by CSM Name filtering for a specific Question Code.  All this does is show the count of responses for each CSM and does not give me the option to average it. I assume it's because Answer Name is reading as a text field although it's a numerical survey response.  What am I missing? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Megan,

When you add the Answer Name field, is it appearing as a text field? Text fields do not support aggregation by Average.
It is.  However, isn't that the standard field that comes with surveys?  The Surveys section of Gainsight is able to average this same data.  I'm confused how I can have it show up as a number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Megan,

If the answer field is a text type there are a couple workarounds to enable aggregation:

1 - create a formula field in SFDC as a numeric that converts string to number

2 - create a custom object to store survey score results and use the Gainsight rules engine to upsert data into that new object, whereby you'd have a setup action for each of the various possible text responses that would write a numeric value to the new object. 

After either of those two methods are used, then reporting in numeric aggregations will be possible. 
Thanks, Dan.  Where is the Answer Name field stored in Salesforce--What object?  I tried to make a formula field to convert to a number but could not reference the field.
To piggy back off of this, I am extremely frustrated with your survey tool and the analytics behind it. We use tons of lifecycle surveys to measure NPS and CSATs for training, performance review, our products and services, etc. We need to be able to easily average this data (Overall Product CSAT) and calculate by CSM or cohort (new customers,seasoned customers, etc.)

We had to have your team in India do all of this for us. Making edits to this is not intuitive, we need to go find question/answer codes. I don't want to have to rely on your team to customize. 

Here my recommendation:

Each survey answer should by nature have a field to map to, and any numerical answer should be able to be dragged in to a formula. 

Before Gainsight, we had built a custom survey object in Salesforce, which was great! Easy for reporting and could manage without Gainsight support. We moved our surveys into Gainsight so CSMs could have one central hub. Unfortunately Gainsight is not living up to our expectations in this area. What are the plans to improve survey reporting?

Attached is a picture of one of our survey layouts. Each survey was a record type and answers were mapped to fields. Then we could do easily analysis using Salesforce reports and build alerts off this data. The survey tool we used to sync fields into Salesforce was Getfeedback.