How to

Feature topics on your Homepage

• 17 February 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Feature, highlight, promote—different words but they all serve the same purpose: making sure topics stand out from the rest. Sometimes you want to make a topic stand out from the crowd because it holds important information, a big announcement or a good promotion. 

The inSided platform offers different ways of featuring topics. In this article you can find all the information you need to feature topics on your homepage.

Feature topics in a card style

Make topics stand out in a card format. Depending on the content type, the card will use a specific card style:

• Discussions / conversations will show a preview snippet of the opening post
  • An article will display the feature image & the article label
  • An idea will show the status of the idea

Make the most out of this widget by featuring multiple topics of the same type, here’s how it works:

1. Activate Customization mode

2. Hover over the homepage and determine where you want to add featured topics. Click the plus icon (➕)  and select the Featured topics widget

3. Add one or more topics via search or by copy/pasting a topic URL. You can add as many topics as you like

4. Select how many topics should be displayed as full-width. If you choose 0 the topic cards will either show in a 2 or 3 column layout depending on the amount of topics

1. Click Done in the sidebar

2. Click Publish. Your featured topic cards will now appear on your homepage

The following items are optional to do:

• Add a title (e.g. Featured, Recommended, Promoted)

• Reorder the list of topics in your preferred order

• Add a button and URL

Feature topics in a list style

Use this if you are more fan of a minimalistic list style. This view only shows the topic title and the topic type as an icon in a simple 2 column list. To feature topics in a list style follow these steps:

2. Hover over the homepage and determine where you want to add a list of topics. Click the plus icon (➕)  and select the Recommendations widget

3. Add one or more topics via search or by copy/pasting a topic URL. You can add as many topics as you like

2. Click Publish. Your list with topics will now appear on your homepage

• Add a title (e.g. Featured, Recommended, Promoted)

• Reorder the list of topics in your preferred order

Feature a single topic directly below the community navigation

This view is very popular when you want to grab the user's attention to a specific, important topic. For example an outage or an important announcement. This featured topic will be displayed on all pages of your community, not just the homepage. The setup requires some different steps:

2. Go to edit the Topic Banner widget positioned below the Mega Menu

3. Add one topic via search or by copy/pasting a topic URL. You can add only one topic.

2. Click Publish. Your topic will be featured in the banner

• The Topic banner background color can be updated via the customizaion mode ThemeColors . Look for the color option “Featured Topic Background Color”​​​​​​​

Feature topics with moderator tags

When adding new widgets to the homepage you’ll find the Featured topics (moderator tags) widget. This is a legacy widget with limited capabilities. We recommend using the Featured topics widget described above.

18 replies

Badge

Hi, I’ve been using the new “featured topics” widget on a daily basis for the past weeks now. And I just wanted to let you know that I’m really loving it. It is quick and easy to add or remove content, the queue can be moved around easily too and the best thing is that the widget places different amounts of topics automatically into the optimal (desktop) alignment.

The most important improvement suggestion we have at the moment, I’ve already talked about here.

Badge

Hi @Julian , I can’t get the cards to show the thread image. Im sure Im missing something? I’d appreciate your help with this. 

Badge

Is the topic “Welcome to Beta” created as an article? Or as a discussion / question? Only the featured images of articles are displayed on the featured topics cards (and in other places). If you insert images in discussions or questions, then they aren’t recognized as such.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I just wanted to jump on this, but Bjoern was quicker. I would have asked the same question... :)

Badge

Is the topic “Welcome to Beta” created as an article? Or as a discussion / question? Only the featured images of articles are displayed on the featured topics cards (and in other places). If you insert images in discussions or questions, then they aren’t recognized as such.

Well, I believe that’ll do the trick. Thanks @bjoern_schulze 

Badge

I just wanted to jump on this, but Bjoern was quicker. I would have asked the same question... :)

I’d highlight that on your article @Julian , at least for folks like me :P

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Good suggestion, I will add it!

Badge

Did you change the HTML for the Featured Topics? It looks like they are embedded into a figure element now which has a default margin (left and right) of 40px. I believe the margin should be zero instead.

Badge

Did you change the HTML for the Featured Topics? It looks like they are embedded into a figure element now which has a default margin (left and right) of 40px. I believe the margin should be zero instead.

I noticed the same thing

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I saw my colleagues released and then rolled back a change that might have caused this. It should be fine now again, please let me know if you still encounter issues.

It seems like it was fixed with the rollback @Julian but it’s gone weird again.

Can you ask that it’s rolled back again ASAP. And that your tech guys just stop messing about today?

Hello! Can you give me simple instructions on featuring content on the home page? Like “add a moderator tag” or click this button or…? 

We’re trying to get initial content in to launch our forum and I’m stumped on how to add articles to the featured widget.

Thanks much!

Badge

Welcome to inSpired @heather locke !

It sounds to me as if you’re looking for a handy guide here. 

In particular, here’s the steps you’ll most likely be after.

1. Activate Customization mode

2. Hover over the homepage and determine where you want to add featured topics. Click the plus icon (➕)  and select the Featured topics widget

4. Select how many topics should be displayed as full-width. If you choose 0 the topic cards will either show in a 2 or 3 column layout depending on the amount of topics

5. Click Done in the sidebar

6. Click Publish. Your featured topic cards will now appear on your homepage

If you get stumped, feel free to give us a shout and we’ll walk you through everything.

Good luck with launching your community too! If you need any advice at all, we’ll be glad to offer it.

Thank you. For some reason the customization button which wasn’t available all day finally popped up and I’m now using the featured topics widget. Thanks much!

Badge

No worries.

Don’t forget that if you’ve got access to the staging environment as part of the package, it’s an extremely useful tool for trying out testing and experiments without causing the main forum to implode. Everything you do in the staging environment is kept separate from public and is restricted to moderators only by default.

Don’t be afraid to break staging! That’s what it’s there for. :blush:

Userlevel 2

@Frank Is there a way to have something like the “Featured Topic Banner” but instead of linking to a topic, I insert my own text and url? Essentially what I want to do is have a featured banner at the top that is pointing community members to unanswered questions (https://community.insided.com/search/activity/unanswered)

Badge

@security_lion I think you’d really be better off adding a some HTML, and stealing the code from the featured banner so you can just edit the content. You don’t need to be very familiar with all this to figure this out either:

1. Add the featured banner with a random topic
  2. Press cmd+shift+C (Mac Chrome) to inspect the element and steal the code of the banner
  3. Remove the topic banner
  4. Hit customise and add a HTML widget
  5. Do not put a title simply paste in the entire “stolen” code as is
  6. Edit the content so that it just says something like “View unanswered questions”
  7. Edit the link to be the one you mentioned
  8. Publish!

Your HTML would look something like this:

<div class="homepage-widget-container widget-container homepage-widget-container--topic_banner widget-container--topic_banner homepage-widget-container--topic_banner widget-container--topic_banner" data-idx="3">
<div class="widget-placeholder">
<div><div class="topic-banner_wrapper featuredBanner"><a class="banner-notification_url" href="https://community.insided.com/search/activity/unanswered"></a><div class="box banner-notification notification"><div class="box__content box__pad"><p class="notification-title"><span class="notification-link">View unanswered questions</span></p></div></div></div></div>
</div>
</div>

The only downside, which might actually be for the best is that this will only appear on the homepage. If you wanted it everywhere you’d have to make it part of your navigation, which is a little more tricky.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2

Eyyyyy @SmartlyGreg !! Living up to your username. Thank you for your suggestion and for walking me through it.