Tutorial

Invite registered users to groups using email invites

• 7 September 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
'

What are group email invites:

Email invites are a great way to invite users to public and private groups and therefore grow the amount of group members.

Any end user receiving and accepting an email invite for a group will automatically become a member of the group without having to click "Join" (public groups) or "Request to join" (private groups). 

In the case of private groups, community managers won''t need to approve join requests.

When to use group email invites:

You should use email invites when you wish to invite a specific list of users to a group. The invitation will be valid only for the selected users and no one else. Invite links on the contrary can be used by any end user. 

How to invite registered users to groups by email

Make sure you’ve customized the ‘Join a group’ email template to your preference (see the how to below).

1. Log in to Control as a Community Manager/Administrator.
  2. Go to Control > Platform > Groups
  3. Select the group you would like to invite users to
  4. Click "Invite members"
  5. In the field "Invite users" search and select registered users to invite
  6. (Optional) Add a custom invite message (max 500 characters)
  7. Click "Send invitations via email" and you are done

Note: This feature only allows to select registered users.

How to customize the email template for joining a Group

1. Log into Control as a Community Manager/Administrator.
  2. Go to Control > Email > System Emails.
  3. Edit the ‘Join a group’ email template, and save your changes.

Note: it’s not possible to customize/remove the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.

See the following guide for a reference on the email variables for the join a group email.

How end users become member using email invites:

• If the user is logged in

When clicking on the link in the email invite, they will be redirected to the community and be added directly to the group. A success message will inform them they are now a member.

Example of Success message
  • If the user is NOT logged in

When clicking on the link in the email invite they will be redirected to the community and see the pop up indicating that they need to log in to join the group. 

Once logged in, they will be redirected to the group page.  A success message will inform them they are now a member.

Steps when a user is not logged in

'

13 replies

Hi @Marion Frecaut would it be possible to also use this Group invite functionality for customers that are not yet a member of our community? 

Badge

+1 to what @Anitahg is suggesting. I understand that’s not being solved for here, but that would be a very useful feature. 

Thanks a lot @Anitahg and @tiffany.oda this is something we will consider for future improvements to the group module :)

Hi @Anitahg and @tiffany.oda It is great to see you are interested and sharing feedback already. We recently released invite by link functionality too. For that feature there is no limit on users, you can copy the link and share it on any platform with whoever you want and once they visit the link, we will ask them to register (if they are not part of the community yet) and once they are registered, will become part of the group too. You can find more detail at 

Hope it can solve your problems for now.

Hi @Marion Frecaut ! Is it possible to see was previously invited to a group, and re-send a group invitation to those who have not joined?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks a lot @Anitahg and @tiffany.oda this is something we will consider for future improvements to the group module :)

This would be super handy. We have a use case we’d like to look into about customers contacting us about something/a bug, and then we can invite them to a community group to keep all of them (both registered users, and users not yet registered) updated on the situation.

Hi there! I’m looking at these steps. 

1. Log in to Control as a Community Manager/Administrator.
  2. Go to Control > Platform > Groups
  3. Select the group you would like to invite users to
  4. Click "Invite members"
  5. In the field "Invite users" search and select registered users to invite →

Step #5 is manual and I’m looking to invite 250+ users in a single group. Is there a way to mass invite these users rather than manually searching for their usernames in this step? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @JessicaMendez, are those 250+ users matching specific but similar criteria? Eg. a job title, email domain, custom role, etc.? We’re considering allowing either bulk invite to Groups from the user overview, or selecting a segment to invite to a group, so if the users you want to add are the result of a set of filters, that would then be pretty easy.

Hi @Sebastian ! Unfortunately, this group is based around a language - German speaking clients. So there isn’t shared segment among them that we can select.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@JessicaMendez Maybe there’s a custom profile field (eg. Language or Country that you can leverage to build the segment)?

If not, how would you go about coming up with that list of 250+ users?

@Sebastian Thanks for the info! I already have a csv of these 250 users’ email address, I just need to add them to the group.

Is there an option to add members to a group using the ‘invite members’ feature on the backend of a group page (see below) by adding email addresses instead of their usernames? 

Hi @JessicaMendez, are those 250+ users matching specific but similar criteria? Eg. a job title, email domain, custom role, etc.? We’re considering allowing either bulk invite to Groups from the user overview, or selecting a segment to invite to a group, so if the users you want to add are the result of a set of filters, that would then be pretty easy.

Hi @Sebastian - I would love +1 the idea to bulk invite members to a group via the User Overview page. Is this something that the team is still considering? 

Hi @Marion Frecaut ! Is it possible to see was previously invited to a group, and re-send a group invitation to those who have not joined?

I have this question also - is there a place where I can see pending invites to a Group?