Question

Why can't I customize certain pages?

• 11 October 2022
  • 2 replies

I’ve just started working on my community site and I’m getting frustrated because some pages show the “CONTROL/THEME/CUSTOMIZE” buttons but many of the others… if not most only show “CONTROL/THEME” and don’t have customize (Which means I cannot add widgets or structure the page in any way”

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @KrisGoose

Welcome to our community! It's great to have you here, but I'm sorry to hear you're having some difficulties customising your pages. 

Unfortunately, not all pages are currently customizable, though the majority of them are. Custom CSS can be used to make changes to those pages. On which page do you want to make changes?

If you require more personalised assistance, please contact us at support@insided.com 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@KrisGoose My experience was similar when I first got hands-on as a customer. Over the past few years, it’s been an area I’ve strongly advocated for product improvement. While we have a bit more to wait, the latest roadmap update has more custom pages as something they’re working on: 

Here’s a quick summary of the current state: 

• Customizable with widgets
    • Home
    • Community Overview page /community
    • Knowledge Base Overview page /knowledge-base
    • Ideation landing page /ideas
    • Product Updates /product-updates
  • Not-customizable with widgets*
    • Community category pages (parent and child)
    • Knowledge Base category pages (parent and child) 
    • Groups and Groups landing page /groups
    • Event landing page /events

My understanding is that the not-customizable areas are the older, core modules. Those that are are more customizable are newer additions that were built with the customization capabilities from scratch. TBD on when they might reconfigure the older, core modules with front-end customization to match. You can feature content on these pages from the backend Control, so there’s still ways to customize.

*There are some things you can “customize” with the sidebar widgets in the backend control, but it’s not the “Customize” option you’re used to on the front end. 

One other thing to note: those customizable pages don’t all offer the same set of widgets for each page. That’s another area I’ve strongly advocated for future improvements: making all widgets available on all the customizable modules/landing pages. They’ve made some progress in that area with the new widget library, but it’s still a limitation. 

Finally, I’ve found the support team to be incredibly helpful with custom CSS, third-party scripts and solutions to help me attain my desired results. Don’t let the limitations discourage you; support can help you now and more customization is on the way.