Who is running a knowledge base?

• 18 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

We are building our knowledge base as we speak. I was wondering who has an up and running knowledge base. Would love to check out yours and get some inspiration. Tips and tricks are welcome as well. :slight_smile:

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Monique,

happy to see that you are planning to launch a knowledge base on your community as well! I think it would be a good fit.

I can surely elaborate on some best practices in setting up your knowledge base (still on my content backlog to create a dedicated guide :disappointed_relieved: )! I will also publish an article on best practices on homepage customization later today, which hopefully gives you an idea on how to integrate your knowledge base on the homepage.

But first, some examples. These are from the top of my head, I hope that you will find some inspiration with those already!

1. Webroot community
  2. ID Mobile community
  3. Tre community
  4. Hallon community

When it comes to defining the knowledge base categories, here are some best practices which I recommend during our onboarding sessions:

I think what is key is that users should find their info as quick as possible. Visitors who are looking for information are usually not very patient - that means that within seconds it should be clear for the user where to look for information, otherwise they will be frustrated and leave. So make sure that the (parent-)category titles are a good description of what can be found in them.

Next to that, I personally find it important that the knowledge base looks good on the homepage, as it is usually located in a very prominent location. I can recommend you to focus on a balanced design: 2, 3, 4 or 6 knowledge base parent categories look good on the homepage (check the examples), but if you display five categories (or more than 6) it usually does not look very nice as it breaks symmetry (or will hide more categories behind a button if more than 6).

We are about to release a really cool feature later today, which hopefully will also help you to figure out how to implement the knowledge base on your homepage the best way, so stay tuned. And please let me know if there are further questions or challenges you could need help with!