Solved

What variables can I use in a phrase?

• 23 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi,

We use phrases for notifications to users. A remark I keep getting is the possibility to include the 'reply' to the 'somebody replied in your topic mail', so you won't have to go to the website in order to see the reply.

However: I searched and searched to get a list of variables that I can incorporate in a phrases, but I didn't found a list.

Does anybody know what variables I can use in a phrase?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Julian 25 July 2018, 15:19

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
'

Hey Koen,

thanks for sharing your question with us! :)

Variables for previewing content:

I know what you want to achieve here, I have seen something similar happening on other communities in the internet...

We do not have such a variable (yet?) for you to use. I think previewing the content has it''s advantages and disadvantages. In the end I would be careful with this, as this could also have a negative impact on the performance of your community.

Imagine you would read the answer to your question already in the notification email. It makes it much more likely that you will not want to visit the community again, simply because you already have what you asked for. This could undermine the activation (as in less reactions posted) and make it harder for others to find their answers (as the user will not mark the question as solved). So I would take this with a pinch of salt...

Variables we currently use:

updated 23.10.2020
Here a guide to all variables that we currently use:

Please let me know if you are having additional questions, or if you are encountering any issues!

Cheers,

Julian

'
Thanks @Julian exactly what I needed. I also appreciate the extra info regarding the pros and cons of adding additional info to the notification.
Am I missing the table, or was it removed? It seems I've managed to break one of my templates and need to check which variable I'm supposed to be using for the username in topic_create.

I have {recipiant}, but it doesn't seem to be working now.
Hi Drew,

It looks like the attachment has been removed from Julians response. @Julian could you add it again? 😉

But the variable you need for that email is {username}, I just fixed that Phrase for you.
But the variable you need for that email is {username}, I just fixed that Phrase for you.

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@Drew C. The file attachment is back. 🙂 Somehow it got lost in the process of moving our community to a new server, thanks to you we were able to quickly spot and fix the issue!

Should you have any questions around this, please let me know.

Cheers,

Julian