Solved

What happens when you change the email in a user's profile?

• 22 May 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hey everyone,

I got a request from a user that signed up to the community with his work email. He's been a loyal member for years. Now, he's changing jobs and will lose access to that email address. He doesn't want to lose all of his badges/stats by creating a new account and I'm not sure what will happen if I change his community email on the backend in his profile.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Drew
icon

Best answer by bjoern_schulze 23 May 2019, 11:21

View original

5 replies

Badge
The user will get email notifications to the new email address. Everything else will stay the same. All stats and content is linked to the account itself (I guess to the user ID), not to the email address.
Badge
Thanks @bjoern_schulze .
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Bjoern is absolutely right with his reply - the only thing that will change is the destination for the notification emails.

If you use an SSO login you would also have to update the users' email address also in your companys' CRM system, as otherwise they cannot login to your community via your company website. But how I see it your community is not making use of this, so it's probably not relevant to you. 🙂

@Julian Is there a way a community member to do this change on their own or does it have to be done at the admin level? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

We do not currently offer an option for users to change their own email address, but this is something that we are looking in to to improve. 

From what I remember we used to have concerns about abuse, but also about potential confusion (e.g. if you are using an SSO login, customers could think they change their email address also on the company side). As we see more demand in this area recently, it has become more likely that we will address this in order to reduce Moderator impact & increase user experience.