Solved

Variables for phrases

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

What are the available variables for use when customizing phrases under Customization > Phrases? (/settings/translation/overview)

icon

Best answer by Julian 9 July 2021, 00:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Scott!

We do not show a total list of all phrases because this list is long - very long. 🙂 It includes all used (and some unused) text strings the platform has to offer, without any context where those text strings are being used. This is because adding clear definitions and descriptions for more than 1500 items in this document is not really manageable, such a document would be outdated rather quickly. We continously add new phrases, and these are also often used in multiple pages (and of course also languages), adding even more complexity to this.

I have shared such a document in the past, but I feel that it carries a risk of confusion, as well as the chance that you update a bunch of phrases which are actually not being used.

Therefore I rather recommend to work the other way around: Identify phrases which you would like to change, and then add the corresponding phrase.

We recognize that such a complete list (inside a tool or special page that gives more context) would help you to feel more in control of all possible text strings you might have not encountered yet. But we also see that there are multiple challenges and it will be quite a task to give you a more valuable tool that will be satisfying to use.

Having said all of this, if you are still interested in this list, I am happy to share it with you (probably via link in a private message). :)

@Julian Here’s the problem, I don’t know what phrases are used or not used. So let me give some examples just from today:

• I wanted to display our community email address in a block of text in a phrase, tried using {email} but that resulted in our community members seeing inSided’s support email, not ours. Not great. So is there a variable for that?
  • I just had a report from a customer that got a 400 error. In that case the page title and error message showed up as error.400.title and error.400 - didn’t even know that was an error message we needed to customize

Normally most applications have long lists of these and they expose them via i18n or other interfaces. 1500 doesn’t seem like much, and agree a document may not be ideal. But it’s a bit of what you don’t know you don’t know and can lead to some odd UX experiences for community members that I’d like to avoid if possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not an expert in this of course but after checking some available tools I like the idea. Maybe we can work on this in the future, I totally agree of course that any documentation and further references will help you to identify possible improvements.

Could you open a support ticket for the examples I shared above? At least then I can get answers to those. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

oh, I was assuming we would have covered this by this guide:

But it seems it is not covering the error 400 page. I will get in touch with the team and get that information for you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So @Jeanie Lee has pointed out to me that this question has been raised recently:

I have not received reports of this before, it seems that this is a rather rarely occuring error, hence it has not been flagged to us before. We could confirm though that the platform currently simply uses the phrase name instead, which is far from ideal of course. We have a task during onboarding to customize the error pages as well, seems also there this page was not in the list (probably cause it was not really known due to the rareness of this happening).

For the [Email] phrase: I am still investigating it. I could not find it in my list of phrases, but I will have this checked directly in the database and get back to you.