Solved

Username field placeholder

• 14 July 2021
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Is there a way to add placeholder text to any of the login fields?

For example, I’d like to more effectively communicate that the username field is visible in the community.

icon

Best answer by Jeanie Lee 16 July 2021, 16:35

View original

4 replies

Badge

Hi Scott!

I’ve had a look around the resources I’ve got and there doesn’t seem to be anything I could find that suggests this is possible. In theory, you might be able to do some magic tricks with Custom CSS, but I don’t have enough experience with that to figure out exactly how to do it. Might be good for an Idea post though. I’d definitely upvote it. :)

I did find something that might be relevant though.

I’m not quite sure if this does the trick, but it might be worth a try.

Interesting as you can add placeholders to custom fields so would think this would be an option with standard fields -- username, email address -- as well. Wonder if @Jeanie Lee knows - such a smart 🍪about these things.

Badge

Yeah, for me the disadvantage I have is that I don’t have access to Control anywhere, so I’m limited to finding resources here from existing content, talking to other people like Tim or figuring it out via intuition. Having my own testing instance of inSided’s stuff to play with would be pretty useful, but I’m not sure it works that way! XD

Hey @Scott Baldwin. I’ve check with our product team and we currently don’t have the capability to create placeholder text in registration fields, unfortunately. The question would have to become an idea request. 

The only solution I see is to rename “username” to “username (visible on community)”, which I understand is not ideal.