Question

User Stats mismatch (amount of replies) User profile vs User Dashboard

• 16 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi folks,

We just awarded our Superuser with a kudos for his 1000th comment.

We monitored his reply count from the Profile backend as well as the frontend stats.

But now we realized on Analytics > User Dashboard, that the reply count is completely different. The amount of topics + Replies is 20% higher… how could that be?

Are we looking at a bug or is there anything I am not taking into account?

And ultimately: which number is correct?

Best,
Daniele

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Might be one for the support team, e.g. @olimarrio

I have zero analytics right now. Something might be up.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could it be that the user dashboard also counts content posted in hidden sub categories that has been set to not count activity?

This is normal practice so it doesn’t look like Superusers are raking in content numbers on the public side of things, when it’s been posted in private. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Could it be that the user dashboard also counts content posted in hidden sub categories that has been set to not count activity?

Great question, I was also thinking that!
I didn’t set any time / locationfilters, is the raw number…

And yes, the user did write a fair amount of comments in one Secret Group and in a Hidden Group, both for Superusers :)

Maybe an inSider knows the answer?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Great question, I was also thinking that!
I didn’t set any time / locationfilters, is the raw number…

And yes, the user did write a fair amount of comments in one Secret Group and in a Hidden Group, both for Superusers :)

Maybe an inSider knows the answer?

Run a post export (all time) and pivot table the users posts, then you can see the exact amount of posts and where they were posted :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ditte you hit the jackpot!

The user has 1001 comments in Public Forums and 196 comments scattered across 4 Secret or Public Groups. Hence the difference. 
(1001 according to user profile, 1197 in the Analytics > User Dashboard)

→ Posts within Hidden or Secret Groups do not count towards the user stats in the User Profile (Frontend or Backend), but they do count in the Analytics > User Dashboard

Note: Ideation is hidden for certain custom roles, but the posts in there do count in the user Statistic. So this exception seems to apply to groups only. I don’t know if it applies to hidden subcategories.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ditte you hit the jackpot!

The user has 1001 comments in Public Forums and 195 comments scattered across 4 Secret or Public Groups. Hence the difference. 

→ Posts within Hidden or Secret Groups do not count towards the user stats in the User Profile (Frontend or Backend), but they do count in the Analytics > User Dashboard

Note: Ideation is hidden for certain custom roles, but the posts in there do count in the user Statistic. So this exception seems to apply to groups only. I don’t know if it applies to hidden subcategories.

Great to hear you solved it, @Daniele Cmty ! 🤝

All (sub) categories can be set to not count activity, too. We don’t use groups for superusers (wasn’t available back then 😃 ), so those categories are set to not count the activity. :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey @Daniele Cmty ?,

Glad you managed to solve this one!

I asked one of our engineers to take a look and they were able to see the following:

It was mostly posts in categories excluded from statistics and 3 deleted activities. These are not excluded from the analytics dashboard whereas they are from the user profile page.

A similar question can found here:

Let us know if you have any other queries about this ?