Solved

Total likes on csv report

• 18 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

Hi there!

I have a couple of questions regarding back end reporting, specifically the CSV for users.

1. What does total likes mean on the CSV? Is this given and received?
  1. Is there a way to see total posts? I can see topics and comments separately but not combined. 
  2. I want to know the % of users who have a minimum of 1 post and/or 1 like. Anyway to get this data?

Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by bjoern_schulze 18 February 2021, 12:42

View original

10 replies

Badge

Hi @Gabolino,

1. Total likes is received likes; there is no field for likes given
  2. In the export there is no field “total posts”, but as the number of posts is the sum of all topics and comments, you can get that number quickly if you need it
  3. In the “User Dashboard” you can see the stat for “Users with at least 1 post”; there is no stat for “users with at least 1 post or 1 like given”
Badge

Hi @Gabolino,

1. Total likes is received likes; there is no field for likes given
  2. In the export there is no field “total posts”, but as the number of posts is the sum of all topics and comments, you can get that number quickly if you need it
  3. In the “User Dashboard” you can see the stat for “Users with at least 1 post”; there is no stat for “users with at least 1 post or 1 like given”

I see, thanks. I guess I could somehow tweak the excel file to give me the stat described in point 3. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I am not sure how important tracking such a metric is for you, but there are ways to measure / filter this:

You could e.g. create a rank that is based on having at least one post and one like, and then either:

• measure in an export who has received this rank or a higher rank
  • have this rank assign a custom user role to users, this way you can get this metric even easier
Badge

Interesting, It’s a pretty important metric, as this is possibly how Im going to define an ‘engaged user’. 

But it’s not 1-post and 1-like, it’s either 1-post or -1like. So, an engaged user could be someone who hasn’t posted but liked at least one post (and vice versa). 

Does that make sense?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That makes a lot of sense. 🙂 You can actually get that quite easily, if I am not missing anything here.

I would create an entry rank which only is assigned if someone leaves a like somewhere. It should sit before the rank that has a focus on actual posting on the community. If both assign such a custom role, you have that in your system already and can measure it pretty easily.

Happy to have a look at your specific ranking structure to give you more concrete tips, should you find that necessary!

Badge

That sounds like a pretty good solution. Would I need two different ranks with two different titles? It would be handy if it could be the same rank but you can reach it either by having one post or one like. Not sure that makes sense. I guess my main concern here would be that users would get the same rank notification/message twice?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. 

Badge

My approach would be this:

• Rank “1st topic”
  • Rank “1st comment”
  • Rank “1st like”
  • Rank “No activity yet”

None of these ranks have to have a notification, so you could do it “silently” without the users noticing. If a user posts their first topic, comment or leaves the first like, they get put into one of the three top ranks. All registered users who haven’t done any activity yet stay in the “No activity yet” rank. Then you can subtract the number of registered users with the number of users who are in the “No activity yet” rank. That way you get the number of users who have been engaged in any way already. 

Badge

Hey @Julian 

I created a ranking to track users who give a like, I call it warming up. However, when I export the CSV it appears like they have 0 total likes, which is in line with that @bjoern_schulze said. 

See below, the last column is total likes. 

I understand total likes is only likes received (which to be honest it’s very confusing as total likes should include given and received). 

My question is, can I trust that the people on the warming up level (CSV) have indeed given a like as I set up on the back end?

That’s how I set up the level (below) the 1 correspond to likes given

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Gabolino,

thanks for your question. I was on holiday, sorry for the delay in response.

Yes, you can trust that all users who own this rank also have (at least) given as many likes as required for this rank to be achieved. The data for this calculation is coming straight from the database and does not rely on e.g. the data you see in the exports (even though they have the similar source).

I can only agreee with your feedback on total likes, this could be done much better. I guess this is one of this “historically grown” circumstances where you end up with slightly lower quality in data due to decisions made waaay in the past. I am also in favor of improving this!

Badge

Sweet, thanks for confirming, @Julian