Solved

Tips on Slack migration to inSided

Hi all! Has anyone previously migrated content + users from Slack to inSided? I learned today that we're responsible for converting json files (the only export option for Slack) to the xls schema template I received from our implementation manager, and then there's a 3 week turn around time for inSided to do the migration once we provide the populated xls file. I'm looking into json<>xls converters, but hoping to hear from others who've been through this and may help me avoid some gotchas (and hopefully share any tips for accelerating the process). Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 9 June 2021, 10:36

View original

3 replies

Badge

Hey there @Chris Anderson !

Ooh yes, that kind of conversion is definitely not the easiest to do but certainly not impossible.

My strongest advice would definitely be no doubt but to try to test the conversion on just a small portion of the files first - making sure to do so using copies of the JSON files and do so in a different location on your computer than where the original files are, so that the real copies are nice and safely protected from any damage.

However, the conversion itself might not actually be as painful as you might expect. I’ve heard that Excel can import JSON files and extract data out of them into spreadsheets. If you can get that to work, you may be in luck. It’s under Data > Get Data > From File > From JSON.

If you run a test conversion and it instantly goes pear shaped, you’ll most likely need to try and figure out what happened. But with luck and possibly a few tries, you’ll hopefully be able to get what you’re after. You can probably also cheat a little and change the table headers to match what inSided is after too. :)

Thanks @Blastoise186, appreciate all of your input! It turns out inSided’s awesome implementation team is actually going to help take care of this for us as part of our package, but I appreciate the tips just the same!

Badge

No worries!

I wanted to post those details anyway just in case anyone else ever needs them - especially if someone decides to go for the DIY self-service setup route rather than having inSided do an assisted migration.

Make sure to say hi for me. I think that most of the team has heard of me by now. :)