Solved

'Show first post' - how does this mechanic work?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is the example of how the original post is minimized when on the second+ page of comments:

However, some members in this tread are reporting that they don’t get that option, and that the original post always shows. This is not ideal when it’s a long post with images that need resizing etc. 

Why do I get this option and others don’t? How does it work?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 8 June 2021, 12:54

View original

7 replies

Badge

A Bug Blasting Blastoise has been summoned and has awoken!

It is I! The great Blastoise-ino! I was awoken by the sound of a damsel in distress. Fear not @timcavey for the Poke-Knight has appeared! XD

My magic has already found the cause and it seems to be a quirk of how things work. It seems to work fine as long as you’re navigating pages using the options at the bottom of multi-page threads, but not when you jump directly to specific comments. And I can see why too!

Jumping directly to a comment appends this onto the end of the URL

?postid=12345#post12345

However, navigating between pages the normal way does this instead - assuming you’re going to page 4 that is! Replace 4 with the page number you’re after. :)

/index4.html

The former triggers this quirk, but the latter works as intended. It sounds like the “Show First Post” is triggered based on the /index parameter being present on the URL which doesn’t happen when you fast jump directly to a comment.

I wish I’d spotted that bug sooner! XD

Userlevel 1
Badge

Excellent work, @Blastoise186 - nice catch! 

What do Insided have to say about this mechanic? I’d very much suggest the ‘Show first post’ option is used on every occasion, thoughts @Julian?

Userlevel 1
Badge

What do we reckon, Insided? How should this mechanic work?

@Julian @Kenneth R 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @timcavey!  Very well spotted by both you and @Blastoise186 - we indeed seem to automatically show the original post when navigating to an individual reply and only show the minimised state when navigating by page.  It’s not something I’ve come across before - will share this internally and keep you posted.  :) 

Badge

Thanks @Kenneth R !

Unfortunately, you’ve missed Tim as he's disappeared off to a giant mountain for the week, but I’ll make sure to let @JessPritch know that you stopped by. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I survived the mountain (ridge), it was a 10 hour hike on the beautiful Isle of Skye.

Thanks @Kenneth R keen to hear if the Insided product team agree on having this ‘show original post’ every time. 

Badge

Based on what I’ve been seeing in some of the absolutely giant threads with huge opening posts on OVO, it would seriously help to have this behaviour be consistent across the board.

In actual fact, one of my latest guides is going to be among the biggest culprits of that… But I guess this is what happens when you create an FAQ about company mergers… :stuck_out_tongue: