Solved

Remove Powered by inSided branding

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Is there a way to remove the “powered by inSided” branding from our community? Love ya all but really not a fan of having this everywhere.

icon

Best answer by Jeanie Lee 8 July 2021, 16:41

View original

11 replies

Badge

Hiya Scott!

I can understand what you mean there, but I can’t think of a way to do that. From my understanding, almost ALL forum software includes some kind of footnote that gives an indication of who created the forum software that’s powering a particular forum or community - even self-hosted ones like PHPbb do this and have done for years. :wink:

To be fair on inSided though, they have made the footer fairly unobtrusive and not too “in your face” screaming out that it’s there. If you compare that to ones that run on Khorus you’ll probably notice which one of the two is less ugly looking pretty fast! :sunglasses:

All good, I figured out how to do it. While lots of software does this, most I’ve worked with make this easily configurable as something that can be turned off.

Userlevel 1

@Scott Baldwin Are you able to share what you figured out? We might need to utilize this.

@security_lion just add the following custom CSS to your site:

/* hide inSided logo */
.logo-insided {
visibility: hidden !important;
}

It will leave their indexable link in the page source (so they still get the search engine love) but will also keep their logo invisible to your community members.

Userlevel 1

@Scott Baldwin Nice, thanks so much! Did you add it in Theme > Custom CSS? It gets rid of the logo for me but the CSS text displays on the header and footer of the site.

@security_lion yes. Maybe check that you have all the same line breaks. Should be like this:

Userlevel 1

@Scott Baldwin Thank you! The weirdest thing. I went back in to update it and it was gone, ha. Appreciate you walking me through this.

While I’m a huge fan of the freedom of expression, this may be against our terms and conditions. :spy_tone1: Please check your current contract with inSided or your designated CSM before removing the inSided branding logo from the community. 

5.3 The Customer is prohibited from removing or altering any designation concerning the confidential nature or concerning copyrights, trademarks, trade names, or any other Intellectual Property right from the SaaS platform, the software, community platform, data files or materials.

Badge

You might be a detective @Jeanie Lee … But you’re no Evil Genius. And I know about your evil points grabbing schemes… But I have more tricks than that and I’ve got an even more ingenious solution.

While I personally have no real issue with the branding being in place, I have a possible best of both worlds solution that could make everyone happy. :)

Check this puppy out!

https://community.insided.com/ideas/provide-a-quot-branding-removal-quot-optional-add-on-3847

You’re welcome.

@Blastoise186 You might be the genius here! I heard that we’ve offered a removal in the past, but maybe the option is due for another discussion. 

Badge

Well, I do have around 20 years experience with using loads of different forum software and forum platforms, so I have a fairly good idea of what to expect across the board.

But I do have a warning for anyone who uses the CSS method. You might be shooting yourself in the foot by doing so as Google does not take kindly to attempting to fool Googlebot by hiding links with CSS while still leaving them in the page source. You risk damaging your own SEO by doing this, so I don't recommend it.