Solved

Posts from 2-3 or 4 years show up in 'recently active' how to handle?

• 18 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
How do you handle posts from 2-3 or 4 years ago surface back to the 'recently active' because someone posted a reply to a question even though the question had a 'best answer' selected.

Just trying to think about workflow here.
icon

Best answer by Julian 20 August 2018, 16:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey!

Good question. I understand that this is a bit challenging, as it usually brings back outdated topics which little to no interest for other users.

A more long-term solution to this would be to implement a workflow that ensures that topics which are older than a defined age (e.g. one year after the last activity) are being closed for new replies. I know that there are some communities out there who do this on a regular basis (small recommendation to check out this idea to close topics automatically).

To directly "remove" this old topic, there are some things you could do, depending on the context:

1. Remove the comment if irrelevant: I often see that those type of replies are not really relevant, they do not add anything to the discussion. Should you think the topic would not lose any added value by removing the post, then feel free to go ahead. You can then explain to the user via private message that the topic was old and not relevant any more.
  2. Move the post to a new / existing topic: If you know an existing discussion, or should you think that the post could be a good start for a new one, then move it accordingly.

Both steps will have the result that the old topic is being removed from the "recently active" widget.

Does that solve your issue? Or do you have other worries around this that I might have overlooked? Let me know!

Cheers,

Julian
Badge
This is great @Julian - Thanks for sharing!