Solved

Numbers on Statistics bar do not match analytics in control

• 29 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi - I use the statistics option on the home page to show number of users, topics, and replies. However, the numbers shown here don’t match what is shown in control. Can you please advise on the reason for the discrepancy - numbers show in the statistics bar are lower across all categories.

icon

Best answer by Jeanie Lee 12 July 2021, 18:01

View original

5 replies

Badge

Hi @Bli . I have a possible theory here, but it’s only a theory as I can’t be sure. Could you fill out your Profile when you get a chance please? I often look there to find useful information that provides clues, but yours seems to be blank.

It sounds as if caching might be at play here. You can forcefully purge server side cache with a specific URL Parameter which is documented on this article.

That might help to resolve the issue but I sometimes find that doing a hard reload in my browser helps as well. The other explanation could be partially down to this one.

Banned and unverified members don’t count towards the stats on the homepage, but they do show in Control.

Hopefully this goes someway to solving the mystery for you!

Thank you @Blastoise186 !

Checked both options, but neither seem to fix:

• Tried the purge option, but no change in member count
  • Also check how member stats is set up and none of the users in control are spam or unverified as we beta launched this to a very small segment of our users

@Gainsight CC Team any additional help here?

Badge

Hmm… Interesting… So it’s probably not caching then.

In some cases, I think certain widgets are dynamically updated depending on your permissions. The Recently Active feed for example, will never show anything from threads that you don’t have permission to access, such as if it’s in a private area that you can’t see. The community statistics might be among that list.

The only other cause that I can think of, might be related to how Control does the number crunching vs how the Community Statistics widget does the number crunching (or where it gets the stats from).

Hi @Bli. Thanks for pointing this out. We’ve brought up the discrepancies with our Dev team, who have created a Jira issue to investigate. I’m following the issue and will have an update soon enough. 

@Bli We were able to find some general discrepancies and some specific to RevenueCat’s instance only, which I will include in a private message. But to provide a more general answer publicly, the statistics bar is an older feature than our analytics dashboards, so there are some differences: 

Topics/Posts: 

Analytics: If we filter by all time, it counts topics of all content types, including ideas and product updates. It does not show reported topics and it does not deduct topics in categories that are excluded for stats which results into the following:
(ideas/product updates + other + not included for stats)

Community stats: Counts for all time stats. All content types excluding ideas and product updates + reported topics. It excludes topics created in a category that is not included for stats.
other + reported

Replies: 

Analytics: The dashboard will also include trashed replies, which can cause some discrepancies. 

Community: Does not include trashed replies.

Members:

Analytics: All users that are not banned, deleted or guest.

Community stats: Count all users in the database, minus distinct users that are not activated, banned, awaiting approval or deleted.