Solved

Number of members who made their first contributions - does this metric exist?

• 30 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Does anywhere in analytics tell me the number of members who made their first contributions, aka new user activity, for any date range?
icon

Best answer by Shane1 3 May 2019, 16:18

View original

9 replies

Hey Tim,

In the member dashboard in control there is the metric 'member with at least one post' which you can filter by a specific date range

Does this cover what you're looking for?
Userlevel 1
Badge
In the member dashboard in control there is the metric 'member with at least one post' which you can filter by a specific date range

Does this cover what you're looking for?

Hi @Shane1

Am I right in thinking this measures the number of active members within the date range, rather then the activity of new members?

'Number of members who made first post' in any given date range would be good. It would allow us to make our own activation funnel from visits to sign ups to active members.

It's possible to look at the user list and see which new sign ups have left a comment or posted a topic, but this would be very manual...
Hi Tim, that graph shows the percent of newly registered users in a selected time range who made a first post. Its not showing active members within that time range.

So its calculated by looking at the newly registered users with 1 post in the selected time range / newly registered users in the selected time range.

So it is a great way for you to calculate your activation funnel!
Userlevel 1
Badge
that graph shows the percent of newly registered users in a selected time range who made a first post. Its not showing active members within that time range.

Thanks @Shane1 - very handy.

Is there a feature here to show new and returning members who have been active in any selected date range? This would be handy also!

Tim
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Tim,

not really, unfortunately. We do have the activation funnel in the Success dashboard, however this is all-time since your community launched. As far as I remember it was not possible to limit this to a time range, due to the way the calculation builds up on top of each other in this table.

You could do a user export, limit this based on registration date and then check the activity of these users with a pivot table or something similar, but there the activity would always be until today (or the time you created the export).

Bit of a tough nut to crack unfortunately. I assume you want to learn more about how new users are being activated, and how efficiently this is compared to another period? I could have a look and see if I find another way to get this metric...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I assume you want to learn more about how new users are being activated, and how efficiently this is compared to another period? I could have a look and see if I find another way to get this metric...

Thanks for this info @Julian

One use case I had in mind was to look at active members vs super users, acting as one indicator of super user effectiveness...

Let me know if you do find a way this can be quickly tracked 🤓
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Ah, now I see what your looking for.

Well I remember that in my past we used to create metrics like these for a custom KPI dashboard we used to track super user performance.

More specifically, we looked at activity by super users and regular users:

• topics & comments created
  • questions answered

The exports we offer include all relevant info (e.g. user roles) which you need to differentiate the user groups and their activity.

In consequence, you can generate impressive metrics ("60% of answers come from super users") which show the real power of your community.

Would it be helpful for you to get such a KPI dashboard for yourself? Then I could sit with my excel-experts and share something like this with you here.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Shane1

This metric doesn't seem to relate to the time frame selected.

For example in a 2 week period in July, we had 95 new registrations, and 102 members with at least 1 post. If the metric only looks at first time posters, then it must relate to all new members and not just those that signed up in the date range.

What are your thoughts on this?
Hi @timcavey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was off for a couple of days.

And you're right it doesn't relate to the time frame selected, so the previous info I gave wasn't correct 😬

The metric "Members with at least 1 post" is referring to the number of users with one or more posts during the selected time range regardless of their registration date, and the percentage is calculated based on the total number of users. It is not referring to the new users (registered in the selected date range).

So if you wanted to find the users who registered in a certain period and posted within that period, the best option would be the User export. The export contains a list of all users who registered within a certain date range, and you would just need to filter by the users with at least one topic or comment. Hope this helps!