Solved

Not able to open a topic with an emoji title

• 26 January 2018
  • 11 replies

• 9 replies
Hi there,

we've just realised that you can't open a topic if the title only consists of emojis, neither front- nor backend.

If you open it, you get the "Page not found" error. We figured that this is caused by insided not recognising the emojis as part of the title in the url

Is there anything we can do to be able to reply?
icon

Best answer by Shane1 26 January 2018, 14:43

View original

11 replies

Hi Anja,

Ah I see the issue, this person was using native emojis from their phone, and these must save as special characters. Special characters are stripped when creating the topic URLs and there needs to be text in the URL before the topic ID, and because there isn't its causing this corruption.

If you created a topic with emojis from our platform, the emojis would appear as just text in the title and in the URL:

But we will fix this topic for you, so that you can respond to it!
@Shane1 Ah I see! 🙂 Good to know. Well it only happened once so far, so there's probably no need to make a big deal out if it. Should we notice that this happens more often, we might need to inform our users to make sure to use proper language 😉

Thanks anyway for your quick reply and help!
Hey Anja, that's fixed. We just needed to change the topic title 😉 but we will look into preventing this from happening in future!
Hi Anja, we've fixed the underlying issue so a topic title with just native emoji is now supported 😎
Hi @Shane1 me again 🙂 We've now noticed that all native emojis form the keyboard in the topic titles and texts of the first post are showing as question marks. Is this a bug or did you change something intentionally?
This wasn't intentional so its a bug which we will need to look into 😬
That's great 🙂 Thanks for letting us know. So can we just wait it out until it's been changed or will we need to edit the existing topcis affected right now?
You can go ahead and edit the topic titles for the moment until we've fixed the bug 🙂
@Shane1 Any updates?
@Anja not yet, there are some other high prio items we need to finish before we pick this up, but I can let you know as soon as we do 🙂
@Anja we've partially fixed the issues with native emojis so they should no longer be converted into question marks at least 🤓