Question

Need help with Zap: automatically assign new custom roles based on Gainsight Customer Data

• 10 November 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there everyone,

Our community is open for anybody to sign up, but we always assign a “customer” custom role to our customers because there is some gated content that only customers can see.

Our moderation team spends up to 1h each day manually checking newly registered customers and manually assigning custom roles.

To check if somebody is a customer or not, we look on Gainsight  (our customer CRM😎), in order to see if that email address is linked to a customer.

Is there any way to automate this with zapier?

I envision it like this:

• Trigger: New member registers on insided
  • Zapier checks if that email can be found on gainsight
    • if it can be found, check if it belongs to a currently active customer
      • if yes → assign custom role “customer”
    • if not → leave blank so we can do our own manual check and assign a role manualy (edge cases)

Any idea on how/if this can be set up?

Would really appreciate some help/input here 🙂 🤗

Thank you in advance!

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ciao @Daniele Cmty 

We do a similar thing with Salesforce so I do not see why it cannot also be done with Gainsight. See the screen shot below.

• Trigger: New member registers on insided
  • Zapier checks if that email can be found on Salesforce Account
    • if it can be found, check if it belongs to a currently active customer
      • if yes → assign custom role “customer”
    • if not → only Registered user Role is assigned

@bas,  @ravi.kurma or @olimarrio  can you confirm or deny?

p.s. Today is a recharge day, so the office is closed an we will be back tomorrow.

Badge +1

I think Alistair has answered the inSided part quite succinctly, this is indeed possible.

How to get the data out of Gainsight CS is a bit more difficult since search isn’t an available Zapier step.

I think this would be a question more suited for @anirbandutta ‘s Gamechanger community :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

THank you so much to both @Alistair FIeld and @bas .

I will take your insights and ask this on the Gamechanger cmty as well.

Happy to share my learnings in this thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Useful workflow… thanks @Daniele Cmty, @Alistair FIeld for the discussion. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Cheers!

Here is my post on the Gamechanger Community:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve considered doing this on our part but here are my two questions:

1. I’m interested to know what do you do when you tag members as ‘Customers’. Does that Custom Role open up Private areas of the Community? What sort of targeted activities do you initiate with this group?
  2. Also ‘Customer’ is an ever changing group. People move on, change co.s, churn happens… on our end, we try to retain individual member accounts by updating their email addresses, but that does not update their co. record… I mean these integrations dont work backward. How do you manage infosec?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  1. I’m interested to know what do you do when you tag members as ‘Customers’. Does that Custom Role open up Private areas of the Community? What sort of targeted activities do you initiate with this group?

Hi there! The “Customer” role is something we use to tag our members, and it is very important because it opens up some private areas of the COmmunity, e.g. some subcategories and Ideation.

Also it is important for analytics because for our member growth, content KPIs, MAU etc. we only count customers (and exclude our own employees and members who are not customers e.g. leads)

Also ‘Customer’ is an ever changing group. People move on, change co.s, churn happens… on our end, we try to retain individual member accounts by updating their email addresses, but that does not update their co. record… I mean these integrations dont work backward. How do you manage infosec?

Not a huge problem for us. Every now and then, we update the custom roles (e.g. “customer” “lead” “former customer”) by pulling up a report on Gainsight:

“Community Members with the role “Lead”, who match a company that is a current customer”

Which means that those people have the wrong custom role in the Community that needs to be updated. IT’s not much, it’s probably a couple dozen every year.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@anirbandutta 

Here is my 2nd answer, visualized.

With filter “A” I single out all the cmty members w status “Lead” (we have over 1000 of those)

with filter “B” and “C” I identify currently active customers.

If it’s a match, it means they have the wrong custom role, and then we go and correct that :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nice. Thank you for sharing.

Hi @Alistair FIeld I wanted to follow up on your review of the Zapier connection to automatically assign a ‘Customer role’ as long as the contact is found in SF. I wanted to confirm with you and @bas is this in fact possible and the setup?

Badge +1

Hi Ryanne,

I’m not sure I understand your question?

The assign Custom Role is a step in Zapier, that much I can confirm. @Alistair FIeld posted a suggested Zapier flow too, but it will be a bit dependent on the exact Salesforce setup of your org :)

Thank you for confirming @bas 

Perhaps, I need to set up a quick call with you? I am getting stuck on the *Search value field on the ‘Find Record in Salesforce’ field

@Alistair FIeld 

Badge +1

Hy Ryanne, of course, I’ll reach out directly.