Solved

login form fields - LastPass confusion

• 5 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi folks,

I’m reporting an issue we’ve noticed several times internally, and figured it may be affecting our external users too.

When using LastPass (maybe any password manager) it cannot identify the form fields when you login the first time after registering.

It turns out that they just have to change the username field from the email address to the actual user name manually, resave the credentials in LastPass, and from then on it’s all good.

Probably LastPass saved the email address as the username, or just doesn’t know which is which. This is kind of hard to figure out on your own - several of our employees (including web developers) have sent “help” emails thinking that their registration was lost or something is wrong with the backend.

I guess this is affecting at least a few users, and can keep them from using the platform due to frustration or confusion. (Meanwhile we can try to use phrases to add a hint on the login page.)

Any chance of fixing this, maybe revisiting the tags used to identify those fields on the page to be more recognizable to password managers or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Julian 9 December 2019, 14:45

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey!

Good catch, I was not aware of LastPass causing problems here… but indeed a concern, you want your users not to be confused and demotivated to log in.

So I checked with my colleagues, and it seems that we actually “tagged” the login field correctly (see image below). However I received a tip that LastPass unfortunately sometimes is not very good in recognizing fields correctly. :(

I am not sure how we or you could tackle this any better, as it seems the ball is with LastPass to be more consistent in recognizing it.

You could think of a different title which makes sure that they do not try it with their email address, but I am not sure as it might be a bit over-the-top… E.g. “Username (NOT your email address)” or something alike.

Thanks for looking into it @Julian ! We’ve included a hint in the login error message, to help those users affected.