Leading inconsistencies with new editor

• 21 September 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge
I created post A as a 'conversation' and then converted it to an article. The leading (space between lines) appears correct, i.e., as it always has.

I created post B as an article in the backend. Even when creating it using the new editor, the leading appeared different – there was less space between the lines after I hit 'enter.' I tried hitting enter twice, but it looked like far too much space between lines. When I published the post, the leading was retained – either too little or too much, depending on how many times I hit "enter."

Now this post has an inconsistent look compared to the others, even when I tried to edit it from both the front-end and the control environment. (Editing from the front-end also showed me the new editor, but the blue button reads "send" when it should read "save.") This looks somewhat unprofessional.

Just wanted to bring this to inSided's attention and find out whether the leading specifications will be maintained for consistency. Thank you!

**Edited to add that I also just found out that the links I included in Post B are opening in the same tab, rather than a new tab, which is the default for other post links. I don't see any way to adjust this when editing, either from the front-end or the control environment.**

POST A

POST B

SEND INSTEAD OF SAVE

8 replies

Yes @LPortalupi had the same issues, I noticed when I went to edit an article.

Also weird that it says "Send" instead of save........

Darran
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks for your feedback! For the moment it is expected that topics that were created in the community (and were created with the 'old' editor) have a slight differences in the the outcome. Without getting too technical this is due the difference rendering systems that the editors make use of.

We are working on making the editor available in the community as well, when this is done there will be a unified creating and editing experience across the entire platform. Still, for very old posts there may be some minor inconsistencies when you want to edit them as they were created in and older editor.

We'll look into the 'save changes' button and the link issue you mentioned. If you have more feedback let us know 👍
Badge

We are working on making the editor available in the community as well, when this is done there will be a unified creating and editing experience across the entire platform. Still, for very old posts there may be some minor inconsistencies when you want to edit them as they were created in and older editor.

Thanks for the info, @Yoeri! Once the editor is available in the community, then all posts created after a certain date will look one way (with decreased leading) and all posts created prior to that date will look another way, correct? Personally, I feel this is not ideal as I feel it looks unprofessional, but I've done a lot of work as a writer, editor, and proofreader, so inconsistencies like this really catch my eye. 😬

I wish that the new editor could preserve the existing leading formatting, as I feel those posts are easier to read – the paragraph breaks are visible but they are not very noticeable in the new editor. If I add an additional line break, then the gap is too much.

Thanks for looking at changing the text on the 'save' button – it's okay for admins in the backend but this would be very confusing for our community members.

Hi @LPortalupi ,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I’d like to give you an update about consistency problem around spacing and line heights.

Here is a proposal of how topics would look like with combinations of different elements. And it will be applied consistently in the following places:

1. All topic pages in destination
  2. Moderate topic pages in control
  3. Editor

Happy to hear your feedback :)

Spacing and line height

Badge

Thanks, @xiaoyu-shen! This looks good to me. The one example I don’t see is the issue I shared above, where I’m using regular ‘paragraph’ text and having too little space between paragraphs (as compared to the previous editor). It’s a minor thing, though. :) 

Hi @LPortalupi , in the last image I shared, the different elements (the right column) can be seen as lego blocks. The orange part is the space for margin. They can stack together in any combinations. ;)

Paragraphs will have bottom margin of 24px, which look like this:

Badge

Thank you for clarifying and sharing the example, @xiaoyu-shen! Looks good to me!

Badge

Some users seem to have an issue with bottom margins if you press enter. They expect the margin to be the same size as the whitespace between lines in a single paragraph. 

“I get an extra in-between line when I start a new sentence, just as if I press Enter twice.” (link)