Solved

Is the order of private messages a permanent change?

Badge
Today I noticed that my private messages with a community member are now displayed in reverse chronological order. This means that the most recent message is at the top.

I understand the benefit of this, but now when I want to reply to that message, I must scroll down to the very bottom. This means that the oldest message – the very first message – that was exchanged is directly above the box to write my message. This means I cannot see the latest message I'm responding to. This is especially difficult when there have been many messages exchanged with a community member. I'm attaching an example – I've been exchanging PMs with this community member for 5 months now, so it takes a lot of time to scroll up and down to see what was said in her latest message so I can reply effectively.

My question is: Is this a permanent change? Is there some way I can revert back to the way the messages appeared before, with the most recent message appearing directly above the message writing box?

If it's out of my control, is it possible to change the placement of the message writing box so it appears at the top, right above or below the latest message?

icon

Best answer by mina 3 June 2019, 11:45

View original

17 replies

Hello @LPortalupi

To rest assure you, this is not a permanent change.

Previously, customers with huge amount of 1-1 messages, faced performance issues to load the page, as it sometimes took more than 40 secs to load the page, and this is due to amount of 1-1 messages.

To overcome, this problem, we unfortunately had to solve it with a temporary solution, which you currently experience.

But we are fully aware with the problem you just described and that it is not the most user friendly solution and currently, it has 100% of our focus to solve it in a lot better way and this is being worked on as we speak to deliver the fix asap.

Thanks.
Badge
Now the Overview Page (/inbox/overview) is sorted in reverse chronological order. This means the latest PN conversations are at the bottom of the stream, I assume correctly that this isn't final either?
Badge
Thanks for your prompt reply and for the explanation, @mina. Uh oh, @bjoern_schulze – this isn't good. It must not be permanent...
Badge
Now the Overview Page (/inbox/overview) is sorted in reverse chronological order. This means the latest PN conversations are at the bottom of the stream, I assume correctly that this isn't final either?

I also really hope that this not final either! Me and our superusers in our community have a lot of pm's, so this makes the user experience really bad 😞
Badge
Hi inSided, the complaints regarding the reversed chronological order of the PNs keep coming it. When will you roll back this change?
Yes we noticed this too, very annoying, please change it back asap!!!!!!
+1. Why is this not a setting? Our superusers are quite annoyed and I can fully imagine. Change can be good but at least give the user the option to use the forum the way they are used to.
Badge
Yes, we are experiencing this as well. Any new status update to report?

Thanks.
Hi All :)

Good evening to everyone here, currently, the permanent fix for both the inbox overview page and inbox details (1-1 messages) is being tested by our QAs, to make sure that the user experience is at its best for private messages.

The current fixes includes:

• Inbox overview page has conversations sorted newest first.
  • Inbox conversation (1-1 messages) has the newest at the bottom, together with pagination to solve the performance degrade if there are a huge amount of 1-1 messages between two users.

After we get the approval from our QA process, hopefully this will be done by tomorrow, it will be released on the same day.

But rest assured as mentioned, what you are experiencing was a just temporary solution to a performance degrade issue.

Sorry for all the inconveniences to you and your communities, we are working hard to improve private messages user experience.

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here. Please change it back as soon as possible. 🙂
Good afternoon All :)

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your patience, and baring the temporary solution we had to get through the situation.

Second, I am happy to announce that the described fix is currently rolled and it should be reflected in all your communities.

The fix includes:

• Pagination for 1-1 inbox messages.
  • Inbox overview is fixed like it was before to have the latests messages on top.

Thank you all for your patience and again sorry for all the inconveniences this caused to you and all your user communities.
Badge
Thanks @mina for the update and the fix! Great news all around.
Badge
Hi @mina. Thanks for the update and resolution!

I'm noticing now that when I click on a user's name when viewing our PMs (for example: /inbox/conversation?with=4458), the page simply reloads. Shouldn't the user's profile load instead? It takes me to the user's profile if I click on the user's name from /inbox/overview. Thanks!
Badge
Hi @mina!

Thanks for the fix 🙂

But, I have the same bug (?) as @LPortalupi described above - when viewing PMs, clicking on a user's name simply reloads the page.
Hello @Suvi Lehtovaara and @LPortalupi

Sorry to not reply earlier to you messages, but it has been busy week :)

You are both right, we have noticed the bug with user profile links, and I'm glad to say that this is fixed now.

Thanks.
Badge
Thanks for the info @mina! ☺️
you are welcome @Suvi Lehtovaara