Is the Insided desktop max display a bit too narrow?

• 10 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I all, sharing some feedback I was given by a community member on the Insided desktop display settings. Keen to hear from any of the UI team and if they agree..?

Insided seems to have done one of those classic mistakes of not making proper use of the available screen space! 

If you pull up the forums on a computer like my laptop Swampert - which has a 15-inch display running at 1920 x 1080 resolution and 100% display scaling (any higher looks weird!) - you'll notice how Insided still basically dumps pretty much everything into the centre of the available space, which is incredibly wasteful as you scale up the screen sizes. 

I've also noticed the "Powered by Insided" CTA just above the site footer appears to be positioned with perfect central alignment, but that also makes stuff like this PM editor look out of place because it's off-centre in comparison. If you think of proportions, it just makes the entire thing look a bit weird!

It would probably look better and have a better UI/UX if Insided could allow the forums to make better use of responsive design and actually attempt to use as much of the screen space as possible, rather than shove everything into the middle and squash it there.

2 replies

@timcavey Totally agree with you.  This is very noticeable on my 4k second monitor.  Sure, if I zoom in things look more sensible, and probably also if I change the OS display settings which scale for DPI (but I’m not about to do the latter, because my laptop’s built-in display is “only” 1080p).

Badge

It’s funny you mention that @triskaideka , since I know who that community member was.

I don’t really know many people who use a Pokémon based naming scheme for everything… Do you know anyone who does that @timcavey ? Cuz I don’t! :wink:

It could do with being a bit more responsive though as the OVO Forum does look kinda squashed up on the two 24-inch 1080p displays I can hook up to my laptop Swampert at 100% display scaling.