Question

Is it possible to authenticate with the RSS feed

• 26 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I’ve looked through the help and I can’t find any information on this. If I access the RSS feed location from a public URL (e.g. not logged into the community) the feed displays all the ‘public’ posts.

Is there a way to pass a token as part of the URL which is specifically linked to a user so it it displays the feed that is relevant for that user.

For example, if I access the RSS feed whilst logged into the community, the feed shows me all posts relevant to my/a users permissions.

There are two reasons for this:

1. To create a frequent email which includes new/updated posts that members can subscribe to
  2. To allow members to use the RSS functionality within Outlook/Another RSS aggregator to easily review the new topics from the community and not be inundated with New topic emails from our community

5 replies

Badge

Hey there @TimBer ,

In theory, this might be possible, as security tokens can be passed in RSS related URLs. But I don’t think inSided has support for this right now. Could be a good one for an Idea post though!

I remember using RSS a lot back in the day, it’s a pretty cool bit of tech, albeit very underrated.

Hey @TimBer, did you ever get a more concrete answer on this one? 

Badge

Hiya!

I was just going back through some of the older questions that are still open but not solved yet. I didn’t find any Ideas related to this one and I prefer not to take the credit for something that someone else came up with.

If you guys would like to see this become possible, please feel free to post this as an Idea. I don’t mind creating one on your behalf with your consent, but I prefer to allow you to have the chance first. :)

@Blastoise186 Go for it!

Badge

In that case, your wish is my command.

Idea created, please check out this one and feel free to Upvote it if you like it too.

https://community.insided.com/ideas/enable-support-for-authenticated-rss-feeds-3815