Solved

InSided communities mobile app

• 5 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Hello, are there any plans to add a mobile app for Insided communities? The web version (when opening it in Chrome android) is rather slower and takes time to load the front page, I am sure an app would be snappier.

Like a single app perhaps to unify all communities.

icon

Best answer by Julian 8 June 2020, 10:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey benxx,

thanks for sharing your question with us. At the moment, there are no plans to work on a dedicated app for inSided communities. We have looked into this in the past, mainly as a dedicated superuser app, however we decided to focus more on features that will benefit all users on the platform.

You mention slow load times on mobile as a good reason to do this. I think that it probably would have more impact to work on the mobile (web browser) experience / page speed here, as many one-time visitors to the community would also benefit greatly from this. An app would only help users who actually download and instal such an app…

I would surely see some advantages an app could have - better notifications for example. It could also increase general engagement and average response time, as users could simply jump into the app and post something.

I will share your thoughts with the product team, so that they are aware of your feedback here. If there are any additional thoughts, please let me know!

Hello, sorry for the slow reply, missed the email. Yes, that seems like a better idea, to work on the mobile browser experience!

For example, an issue for both PC and mobile; when I want to go to a topic that was posted some time ago, I need to click on something like "Show more activity". When I press the browser back button, it gets be back to the main homepage, with recent topics only, so it is needed to click on Show more activity again. Or, if someone went even deeper to Show more activity several times, it is even harder…

I hope you understand what I mean, sorry for bad English?

@Julian are there any updates about this? I had a community member today request that we have an app option. I can see that the notifications would encourage everyone to use our site more often--which is a plus for all of us. Also, I just found out that 54% of our current users view our platform through their mobile phone.

@Julian I am still curious about the app roadmap: is it a possibility in the near future? Or most likely not?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Marissa,

sorry for missing your earlier question. :(

I know that this is something my colleagues are also interested in, however it is not something that is currently on the roadmap. I can only speculate on the reasons, as I am not working in the product team. Building such an app is a bigger task and therefore is in strong competition with other bigger improvements such as e.g. a dedicated landing page for the Knowledge Base, the personalization of the homepage, or a notification center. Regardless, I do know that this idea is also somewhat popular internally, as it was a topic in an internal Hackathon we organized recently.

Best I can do is to recommend you to upvote the idea below, the product team regularly checks all submitted ideas and votes. The product team is also actively responding in those ideas, once there are more concrete plans or updates around it, you will hear it there.

https://community.insided.com/ideas/insided-app-mobile-amp-tablet-back-end-access-2760

Thanks for the information @Julian.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Marissa,

sorry for missing your earlier question. :(

I know that this is something my colleagues are also interested in, however it is not something that is currently on the roadmap. I can only speculate on the reasons, as I am not working in the product team. Building such an app is a bigger task and therefore is in strong competition with other bigger improvements such as e.g. a dedicated landing page for the Knowledge Base, the personalization of the homepage, or a notification center. Regardless, I do know that this idea is also somewhat popular internally, as it was a topic in an internal Hackathon we organized recently.

Best I can do is to recommend you to upvote the idea below, the product team regularly checks all submitted ideas and votes. The product team is also actively responding in those ideas, once there are more concrete plans or updates around it, you will hear it there.

https://community.insided.com/ideas/insided-app-mobile-amp-tablet-back-end-access-2760

What stage is this requested Idea at? I can't access to upvote it?

Hi @Julian! Do you by any chance know if there’s been any movement and discussions about the mobile app for the community? 

Looks like this idea hasn’t been reviewed in a while and still has a New Idea status -