Question

If a topic is moved into a new category will gamification rules apply?

• 24 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I see that I can set badges based on X number of topics in X category … will those rules apply if a topic is created in one location but then moved to a new location? 

Use case: we’ll have many of our our community members contributing to our knowledge base. To have them set as the author, we’ll be using a work around where they post in one space/group and then move that post into the KB on the backend. 

If we’re using that workflow, will I be able to set badges based on X number of topics in a Knowledge Base category? Or does the gamification default to where the topic is originally created? 

7 replies

Badge

Hey @DannyPancratz ,

As far as I can tell, this should work fine. I’ve written quite a few articles and guides myself in a private area, which @timcavey then moves out into the public forum when it’s ready. Whenever he tags the thread as an Article, my points are then recalculated and shoot up based on the boost that gets applied. I believe the points awarded are based on the current state of the thread/post/comment, regardless of how it was originally created.

I will admit that Tim doesn’t have the Knowledge Base module enabled, so all the articles I write get published on the main forum. I’m not quite sure if this would carry over for definite. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of options.

If that doesn’t work out however, you could also hook something up via the API to manually award points that way. So you could potentially set up something that would fire a points boost for the topic author whenever one of their threads gets moved into the Knowledge Base categories. Might not be quite as slick, but it should do the trick.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I will admit that Tim doesn’t have the Knowledge Base module enabled, so all the articles I write get published on the main forum. I’m not quite sure if this would carry over for definite. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of options.

Yep good point, @Blastoise186. I’m not sure of the mechanics for moving between ‘community’, ‘KB’ and ‘Ideation’ areas. When I post an idea here, I don’t think I get any points. :cold_sweat:

Also from @Blastoise186’s post, it seems that this does update. Is it both ways though. For example if a question topic is posted, and a best answer is given, but then this topic is ‘merged’ with another, will those points be lost?

Badge

Also from @Blastoise186’s post, it seems that this does update. Is it both ways though. For example if a question topic is posted, and a best answer is given, but then this topic is ‘merged’ with another, will those points be lost?

That I can confirm as well. I’ve seen users lose a few points and sometimes ranks/roles when this happens - but the ranks/roles will .only drop if the user is now below the threshold as a result. I suspect the same would apply to badges too. It’s all based on the current status of everything now, not what it used to be!

Also, I seem to get points for Ideas posts here, but it’s a bit random… Or is it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Interestingly I did a small test today, after re-assigning a ‘best answer’. 

It had no impact on ‘All time’ points accumulation for the member who lost their best answer, but it did add points for the new member who gained a best answer. 

I think this may be due to the dates of the original answer, which was submitted prior to the Points leaderboard being introduced.… but I’m not sure.   

Badge

I think I know which answer that is.

And yes. That could be a possibility. I sometimes wonder if the Leaderboard is able to factor in older content and retroactively calculate all that stuff too, or whether it started everyone off at zero from the date it became available…

At the same time though, I feel it’s more fair to start everyone at zero from when the Leaderboard first came out, so that no-one has an unfair advantage or head start. While I could also argue that retroactively granting points for the older content has valid use cases too, I feel it’d risk corrupting the leaderboard to the point where no-one would ever catch up with very long term members.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I sometimes wonder if the Leaderboard is able to factor in older content and retroactively calculate all that stuff too, or whether it started everyone off at zero from the date it became available…

I’m very confident that this is what happens. Let’s use our community as an example. Look at the number of best answers the top member has vs the second best…… :upside_down:

Badge

Haha. Which also reminds me as well actually.

If you were to ban a user and zap ALL of their content, the system will also react to that as well and a very, very harsh penalty will be issued. In effect, since deleting stuff causes the user to lose points… Banning a user and wiping out everything will cause their score to plummet to zero. If the user had gained any Points/Roles/Badges/Ranks etc as a result of anything that triggers based on:

• Ranks
  • Roles
  • Badges
  • Comments
  • Solutions
  • Or pretty much anything that gamification applies to…

ALL of that gets shredded and revoked and forces the user all the way back down to nothing - even if it means losing privileges. Given these actions are often used to get rid of messy spammers, that’s exactly where they deserve to go, since spammers have no legitimate right to keep such perks. :wink: