Solved

How to feature content on a category page?

• 13 April 2021
  • 4 replies

We have a new-ish community and don’t want to build out too much structure - so we have a scenario where we have a Cat and Sub-cat. 
I need to highlight / feature content on the main category page - but can only see ways to do it on the sub-category page. 
I’ve looked at Curated content, all the ‘featured’ moderator tags - but they seem to only apply to sub-category pages. 

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by timcavey 13 April 2021, 20:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Dorothyt - hope the new (ish) community is going well!

From my experience it’s not possible to have topics featured on the parent category page (that’s what you’re referring to as a category). The mod tags featured_home gets topics featured on the homepage, and featured_subforum gets topics featured on the category (what you’re referring to as a sub-category) page. 

I’m happy to be corrected on that, as I think getting parent category featured topics would be great! 

hey @timcavey thanks for confirming my assumptions. 
I was hoping maybe there was a way through custom CSS? 

Badge

Howdy @Dorothyt !

I’m Blastoise186, a sort-of forum volunteer who helps out around here, and I also help @timcavey out back at my home base. :)

Could you fill your Forum Profile out for us please? It helps us to get to you know a bit better and also makes it easier to give the right answers.

I’m not sure Custom CSS is the solution here, and it’s actually worth noting that you can’t post forum threads in Parent Categories anyway (only the Sub-Categories!). Since it’s more likely that members would be looking at the Sub Categories, it’s probably more useful to put featured topics at this level and at the home page.

However, I do like the idea and I can sense Tim does. I can also say that as a user, I have a different viewpoint from all the community moderators and managers who gather here (and me liking ideas is often a good sign!). Would you be happy to post an Idea for this? I’d be happy to upvote it, so please do check out https://community.insided.com/ideas . You never know, you could get lucky.

Hi @Blastoise186  
Yep I am aware that the Parent Categories are really just pages not containers and don’t ‘hold’ any content. Because of this I find the lack of customization options to be frustratingly limiting. I’d like more ability to set the user experience and add elements like calls to action, highlights, a more clear direction to the page, etc. 
Just the tiles to navigate to the sub-categories isn’t sufficient in experience. Its also been forcing us to name out sub-categories in a way that makes it more obvious to “click here” - the content in one level deeper! :)