Solved

How do I send a private message from the community frontend?

Hi,

I am looking for a clear ''how to send a private message''

We've received some feedback from our customers that they don't know how to use this feature...

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Hugo 10 July 2018, 16:20

View original

10 replies

Hey Hiewwaiy,

If you go to any users profile there is the button to 'send message' which is how you send a private message, and then under your profile you have the private message folder to see all your conversations.

Thanks Shane.

To be clear: you always need to go to the users profile first?
Only if you've never sent them a private message before. If you've already sent them a private message its easier to go to your private messages folder and continue the conversation from there.
On desktop you can also start a private message conversation by hovering on the user icon and then using this button:

@Hugo , thanks for your comment. However, this feature doesn't seem to work: If I hover over an user Icon at my community, most of the time nothing happens?

@Hiewwaiy Sorry, I forgot to mention that’s only on the topicpages. Not on categories or searchpages.
@Hugo, thanks for your reply!
Hi,

I am looking for a clear ''how to send a private message''

We've received some feedback from our customers that they don't know how to use this feature...

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks!

@Hiewwaiy If what you're looking for is an easy way for users to send PM's to your moderators, we've been testing (successfully so far) direct linking to the PM's. We have made a sort of 'macro' like this for all of our moderators:

"Please send us [personal info not meant for public posts] via PM to Hugo."

@Hugo hope you don't mind me using you as my victim in this example 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
We have made a sort of 'macro' like this for all of our moderators:

Good suggestion.

However you should be careful with this, I made the experience that users would see this as an invite for personal 1:1 support. So don't spam your community with this, or they will start spamming you. ;)

I always used to say "I will contact you via private message" when necessary. Users will then receive a seperate notification with a link to read the pm, but nobody else.

We have made a sort of 'macro' like this for all of our moderators:

Good suggestion.

However you should be careful with this, I made the experience that users would see this as an invite for personal 1:1 support. So don't spam your community with this, or they will start spamming you. ;)

I always used to say "I will contact you via private message" when necessary. Users will then receive a seperate notification with a link to read the pm, but nobody else.

Agreed, managing expectations and educating users is essential at all times. 🙂 We always ask users to continue the conversation or give feedback in the main topic when sending a PM back.