Solved

How do I edit the "Page not Found" page on our community?

• 25 February 2019
  • 7 replies

I need to edit this page, as the journey I took as a customer, I clicked on a helpful link suggested against a topic I was on and got to the page not found page, which just told me to email......

The most likely cause of this is not an error but that we've merged the topic, therefore this page needs to highlight that, help the customer realise there is already content on this subject and push them back to search!

Anyone know how to edit this?

Darran
icon

Best answer by LPortalupi 26 October 2020, 23:25

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Darran,

great question! This page can be edited via our Phrases tool.

I think you can even do it via a live-edit (here the how-to). However if you want to add something more complex (HTML or a longer piece of text), then I would recommend you to add the phrase manually via [General settings] - [Phrases].

To achieve the best result, I used an HTML editor like this one to create a good example text. Then I pasted it in as a phrase.

Add these codes for the page:

Module: Custom

Key: 404.error.page

Then add the content which you want to display in the bottom field.

Let me know if you need more help or if something is not working as expected!

Cheers,

Julian
Hi @Julian I've checked phrases in control and I don't see this page. I also clicked on phrases from the front end, and it showed the edit option by the title, but only showed an edit on the "404" code, which when I clicked gave me a blank box, it didn't show me the copy from the page so I could edit it........?

What am I missing!!!!!!!??????

Also any reason why the related topics don't update when they've been merged, and also why they don't redirect to the topic they've been merged to? If they did that, a customer wouldn't get to this dead end in the first place.

Darran

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi @Julian I've checked phrases in control and I don't see this page. I also clicked on phrases from the front end, and it showed the edit option by the title, but only showed an edit on the "404" code, which when I clicked gave me a blank box, it didn't show me the copy from the page so I could edit it........?

What am I missing!!!!!!!??????

Sorry, could have pointed this out more clearly! :(

This is because nobody ever added this phrase manually: Our default text strings are not being listed there, because this would be a loooong list. We only show the phrases that have been added manually.

If you click on "add phrase" at the top, you can add the phrase manually via the codes provided by me in my last reply.

Also any reason why the related topics don't update when they've been merged, and also why they don't redirect to the topic they've been merged to? If they did that, a customer wouldn't get to this dead end in the first place.

I am discussing your observations regarding the related topics widget with a developer right now. If a topic does not exist any more, it should not be in the list. There is some caching, and maybe an issue caused undesired behaviour here. I will come back to you on this.

If a topic is moved completely, the url / id does not exist any more, so that triggers the 404. We might be able to improve that, however this is expected behaviour at the moment. Improving the 404 page is a good first step of course.

Cheers,

Julian
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Oh and I also saw that the copy text is missing during live-edit. Chasing this as well to learn how / why... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey @OVOdarran,

I have received an update from our devs now.

The undesired behaviour by the related topics widget was caused by the combination of our new search engine together with old code - result was that this list was not updated correctly, causing these 404-errors.

We have re-indexed your community content, so you and your users should see a massive improvement here. This widget updates every 30 seconds, so there is still is a minimal chance that someone clicks that link right after a topic has been merged, however that's the only scenario...

My colleague also has created a ticket for the live-edit: It seems that something is blocking the text from being displayed, they will figure it out and improve it.

Cheers,

Julian
Badge

Update: The text in original post didn’t allow me to change this phrase, but these did:

Module: Forum 

Key: error.404