E-mail changing on user's side

• 28 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Is it possible to enable the ability to change e-mail for a user him/herself? I know moderators can change it via Control Panel. But it's much better and easier for both members and moderators to do it on user's side. Probably we missed this option somewhere in Settings?

6 replies

HI @Rodion we asked this question a while back now and this was the response I got from Support on it at the time.

"This is something we do not offer yet but agree that this is something valuable and at some point want to make this available. However this will not be available on short term because in order to offer this possibility we need to change the current infrastructure. Making sure users are able to change the e-mail address involves quite big changes with big impact on the current setup. In addition, there is a verification step when registering, this verification step also needs to be implemented when changing the e-mail address. Otherwise users can change the e-mail address to any address while it might not even be their own mail address."

That may well have changed now so maybe @ErikD can give us an update? Maybe its something for the Ideation board to get some votes behind? https://community.insided.com/got-an-idea-39
@OVOdarran sure I'll post it as an idea after Erik's feedback.

Actually the situation might be like:

A user registered using a corporate email. Then he decided to change his job, so he wouldn't have an access to the corporate email. So he has to change an email if he still wants to communicate on the community.

Or he/she lost an access to his old personal email.

Or he/she registered years ago using any personal email "for advertisment" and now he/she simply does not remember it.

In case the community contains 1M+ accounts, I think it could be very often. So such users should contact to Managers or create new account, which means old one become totally inactive.

So I hope InSided could take it at work 🙂
Yeah @Rodion agree I think people change email address more often than we think!!

Would be good if the customer could update this themselves, would make them more likely to stay with the community, rather than having to try and get in touch with us to update it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi all,

just got out of a meeting where we discussed this (together with Erik).

One of the reasons why we do not offer this currently has to do with the various login-methods: A community with no external database connected (via SSO) surely would profit from this. However, in the case of Kaspersky (and other communities using an SSO solution) the user will log in via the main website of the company. We then can set up that the change of the email address on the company homepage automatically will change the email address in the community. This way the user can stay in the ecosystem of the company, and does not have to change it both on the website and on the community itself.

I am not against a change so that users can also change their email address in the profile settings page, however as I explained each community has it's own context regarding the login, which makes things a bit more complex...

Cheers,

Julian

Hi @Julian

Curious if this has changed? Has the team allowed the flexibility to the end user to change it password? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Not yet, but I feel it is getting closer on the horizon! It's been coming up in discussions a couple of times recently.