Question

Does anyone use the community for product onboarding?

• 16 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Hey everyone!

In order to improve our onboarding process (for our SaaS Cybersecurity product), we were thinking of creating an onboarding category that would include all the relevant onboarding materials (documentation, tutorials, etc.).

Has anyone moved the onboarding process to the community? Could this process be enhanced (or integrated) with other features? Surveys? Checkbox? Any ideas or examples? 

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @Idan 

Our implementation Team (different team) organizes all this - our Onboarding materials are actually hosted on a knowledge base which we use a different tool for.
We also do onboarding via in-app tours and automatic email flows, as well as checklists that we send via email.

We do have some extra materials and articles on the community though.

we also do have some Onboarding webinars, and the recordings are hosted on the inSided knowledge base. The content is gated which means that new customers need to sign up to the community to access it, which gives us a nice influx of members from the start.

so not fully hosted on the community. but there is more potential. i hope this helps even just a tiny bit! 

best,
Daniele

Thank you Daniel for such a detailed answer! 

I think that putting the community at the heart of our onboarding process will educate our customers to use it more often. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Idan 

This is a very interesting use case and is definitely something we are looking to do more of as well.

Currently we have a knowledge base category for guides and intros:

https://community.insided.com/guides-tutorials-and-learning-material-113

This week we are also kicking off a community hosted cohort of individuals. The idea here being to bring like minded customers at the similar state of maturity together and share experiences.

As we develop more segmentation and personalisation features on the inSided platform, we will be able to dynamically adjust the presented content based on the user status and maturity which will be really cool.

I think this is definitely a topic worth exploring further. Thanks for bringing it up

As we develop more segmentation and personalisation features on the inSided platform, we will be able to dynamically adjust the presented content based on the user status and maturity which will be really cool.

This is so cool! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Daniel for such a detailed answer! 

I think that putting the community at the heart of our onboarding process will educate our customers to use it more often. 

Absolutely!
Our cohort analysis data shows that users who get active in the community in the first 1-2 months, are way more likely to stick and be active for longer.
(Which is pretty obvious, but it’s good to have some supporting data on that).

Addendum:

Definition of “Get active” = 2 levels for us:

• Activity I: visits the community as a loggedin user (last_activity)
  • Activity II: submit a post
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

We don’t use Insided for our knowledge base or learning management system, but we do have a Getting Started page designed to be a self-service onboarding launchpad to resources that complement the onboarding meetings and tasks we give them. 

I’m using the Knowledge Base overview page as the customizable landing page for this now, but I believe a recent roadmap update forecasted they intend to build (the highly desired feature) custom landing page functionality to fit use cases like mine and others.