Solved

Do Public Tags have an influence on the search results?

• 23 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

HI there, I was wondering how the advanced search sorting algorithm works.

What are the results sorted by?

Most importantly, I need to  know whether or not the public tags have an influence on the sorting of the search results?

e.g. if i search for “peppermint”, is a topic with the public tag “peppermint” more likely to show up than, say, a topic that only has the word “peppermint” in the title? How about a topic that has that keyword in the topic body and the title, but not in the public tags? or other combinations?

Asking because we may have to adapt our “public tags” strategy and change how we set them, but I need to know if it has any influence on the results.

icon

Best answer by Alistair FIeld 24 March 2023, 14:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Daniele Cmty 

Tags arre indeed included in finding results.

BUT it is not as important as title and content.

So taking your example “e.g. if i search for “peppermint”, is a topic with the public tag “peppermint” more likely to show up than, say, a topic that only has the word “peppermint” in the title?”

A topic with peppermint in the title will be weighted more heavily than if it were to be found in a tag.

Does that make sense?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nice one, thanks @Alistair FIeld, that makes sense!

Is there a kind of hierarchy you can share?

So from most relevant to least relevant for weighting, e.g.

1. Title 
  2. Topic Text
  3. Topic Public Tag
  4. Comment Text
  5. etc..
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Daniele Cmty

@DannyPancratz this may be of interest to you also.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Woohoo! Nice one, thank you!!!

Just to Clarify: “Sub Category” and “Category” means, whether or not the actual query matches the name of the (sub)category, right? 
(same goes for the tags? whether there is a match between the text typed into the query and the text within the category?)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That would be correct @Daniele Cmty.

An exact match would weight higher than a contains match.

for example:

Query = search

A tag only search will weigh higher than a tag called search analytics.

1. Woohoo! Nice one, thank you!!!

Just to Clarify: “Sub Category” and “Category” means, whether or not the actual query matches the name of the (sub)category, right? 
    (same goes for the tags? whether there is a match between the text typed into the query and the text within the category?)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Alistair FIeld hero! thanks for publishing an article so speedily!