Conversational Widget: FAQ

In this topic you'll find answers to common questions about the conversational widget.

What is the conversational widget?

The conversational widget consists of a trigger (a button to open the widget) and a pop-up modal used to display community content on pages of your website.

🛠️ Questions about installation

How much effort does it take to install the conversational widget on my webpages?

About half an hour of implementation time. The conversational widget only requires you to add a snippet of JavaScript to your webpages. See How To Install The Conversational Widget.

🎮 Questions about look and feel / behavior

What information about each topic is shown in the conversational widget?

For each topic, the widget shows the topic title, the relative time since the topic was last active, and the avatar of the user who last posted in the topic.

What aspects of the conversational widget can I customize?

For the trigger, you can customize whether to use a button that appears on the side of the page or a floating button at the bottom of the page, whether the trigger should display on the left/right side, as well as the colors and text.

For the pop-up modal, you can customize the colors and text, as well as basic styling of the cards that represent each topic. See How To Customize The Look And Feel Of The Embeddable Widgets for instructions and a more detailed description of the available options.

How many topics are shown in the conversational widget?

Up to twenty five topics can be shown in the conversational widget. This isn’t configurable.

What happens when a user clicks a topic in the conversational widget?

The user will see the details of the topic directly within the widget itself. Exactly what the user sees depends on the topic type:

Questions:

The user sees the first post and the best answer.

Articles/Conversations:

The user sees the first five posts.

At the bottom of all topics, there’s currently a link that takes the user to the topic on the community.

Does the conversational widget automatically adjust to various screen sizes?

Yes, the conversational widget is fully responsive; it looks great on mobile, tablet, and desktop screens - on mobile, the widget will open in full screen.

What does that button on the top left of the conversational widget do?

The button on the top left takes you to the home page of your community (you can customise this to be any URL you'd like).

10 replies

Interested in what results people have seen from implementing this and also anything they have learned in regards to customer behaviour after adding one or more of these??

Trying to build a business case for continuing with our forum, so looking for tangible evidence that these work and deliver results. Would appreciate any feedback or insight from my fellow Community Managers. 😄

@Jurgen @Ditte - If you know anyone else that has implemented these, please let me know so I can get in touch.

Darran
Badge
Hi @OVODarren

We have A/B-tested a custom integration of handpicked topics before and saw very mixed results, unfortunately. Right now, we're not testing this because we're preparing migration to the branded template.

I'm hoping in the mean time that this feature will be improved.

How many topics are shown in the conversational widget?

Up to twenty five topics can be shown in the conversational widget. This isn’t configurable.

For the conversational widget I think it's ok to show this amount of topics, but for the in-page widget this is quite much honestly. We're now going to test the in-page widget on some new help pages and 25 topics would make the page way too long. We'll probably just show few hand picked topics for now. But I suggest that a maximum amount of shown topics could be configurable at least for the in-page widget in the future 🙂
How can I change topics in the widget? Now are displayed old and not actually topics https://prnt.sc/n7sihs
Hi Alena - this topic explains how to change the content shown in the widget: https://community.insided.com/how-to-s-37/how-to-pin-topics-on-specific-pages-in-the-embeddable-widgets-890
Is someone using the conversational widget? I would like to see an example how it works in realtime.

@Riina , I see you use it at some pages, could you share some best practices with us? I'm curious about the results before and after you implemented this widget.

I would like to have another example than the one at Elisa, because unfortunately my business didn't develop the Finnish language (yet) 😉
@MaryJ Here are some other examples of the conversational widget ☺️

Badge +2

Do we have any more recent examples of customers that have used conversational widget within their product? Would be great to see some best practices here! cc: @Bas van Erk @Anika Zubair 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Widget displays comments “newest first”. Is it possible to change it to “oldest first”? This is the order we like to read the comments in the community as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Widget displays comments “newest first”. Is it possible to change it to “oldest first”? This is the order we like to read the comments in the community as well.

Anyone?