Solved

Configuring the reputation bar - where and how?

• 21 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I have a few follow-up questions to @Julian’s answer to this question from a few years back: 

(Answer: Reputation is the bar that displays on someone’s profile based on likes, see the post for more context). 

Users have the ability to decide whether to display their reputation via profile settings. Can we default this to no at the outset? And/or auto-hide this bar on our community?  If so, where is that configured? 

Julien provides these thresholds that are set for the reputation bar by default

"level1" => 5
"level2" => 10
"level3" => 20
"level4" => 40
"level5" => 80
"level6" => 160
"level7" => 320

Where can we adjust or configure those for our community?

Bonus question: how does this bar figure into the roadmap around gamification with ranks based on points, etc?

icon

Best answer by omika.mali 20 May 2021, 14:40

View original

8 replies

Badge

@DannyPancratz I’ve come back to the community 5 or 6 times to try to find answers to similar questions. Every time I would search for different queries including “blue bar” and never found anything. Finally today I began to create a post with the title “what does the blue bar on user profiles...” and saw this post come up. Did you ever get an answer to your question?

I’m curious if/how we can configure these and what the different levels mean. Does the bar fill up fully for each of those levels, then reset? Does it only fill once, starting at level1 and moving up to level7

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi, @adam.ballhaussen, I haven’t ever received any answers on this, so thanks for bubbling it up again. 

cc: @Shane1, @omika.mali, and Insided team. 

Hello @DannyPancratz and @adam.ballhaussen whenever you receive a like on your own post, this affects the reputation bar. Please contact support@insided.com if you would like your reputation bar to be disabled. This would have the entire reputation featured disabled for everyone in your community. There will be upcoming article available on the reputation bar in the inspired community shortly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

cc: @cbeac2432 

Badge

What happens when the reputation bar is filled?

ok so this reputation bar will just show up once I start having users engaging in the community. Shame it has to do with Likes. My initial thought was that it had do with progress towards a users next ranking. That would make a lot of sense to me and would inspire me to contribute more if I noticed I was making progress to ranking up

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My initial thought was that it had do with progress towards a users next ranking. That would make a lot of sense to me and would inspire me to contribute more if I noticed I was making progress to ranking up

That was my thought as well. It’s also the assumption my users make (it’s a FAQ I get) 

I think the barrier to that is that Ranks are super customizable (including by custom role - which we use for most) so tying this to the next rank up isn’t going to match most gamification strategies. 

It seems to be a feature that distracts and confuses more than it helps. It’s meant to be a visual proxy to indicate expertise, but it’d require you to explain what it is in your documentation/onboarding for your community users. (Also: what do they get for filling the bar? There’s no trigger that I’m aware of.)

Hi omika.mali, is the article available for the reputation bar? Can you point me towards it if its available?