Solved

Community Hero Banner

Hi guys, 

I have a question, we are working on re-branding our ranking structure which is going well and my next project is to redesign our homepage banner. However, the problem that I am having is that I can’t see any option to upload a version of the Hero banner for Mobile and another version for desktop.

When you think about how small the banner is on mobile there is very little room for creativity here. Is there not a way or a function which allows you to show mobile users 1 banner and desktop or tablet users another? 

thanks, 

Emil  

icon

Best answer by SmartlyGreg 19 January 2022, 03:25

View original

15 replies

Badge

I have this very same question as @Emil !

We’ve just changed our hero banner and it works fine on desktop:

But very poorly on mobile:

@Suvi Lehtovaara Hey, I just wanted to ask, have you had any response to our question yet? 

Badge

@Suvi Lehtovaara Hey, I just wanted to ask, have you had any response to our question yet? 

No, I have not :frowning2:

@Julian, maybe you can help us?

Have not tried it myself yet but I think you should be able to solve it with css media queries by adding it to custom css. But you’ll probably need to host intended image for smaller screens somewhere to make it work. :thinking:

@Julian, what do you think?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, I know about this. I had a quick chat yesterday about it with our product designer, as we also want to improve this for you. We surely recognize that it can be a challenge to find an image that is working on all the different viewports.

I think you could work with custom CSS, I will ask some colleagues who actually know way better how this could be done so that I can share some options with you.

@Julian and @ErikT thank you for your response it would be really good if you could find out and let us know as this would be a massive help! 

Badge

Yes, I know about this. I had a quick chat yesterday about it with our product designer, as we also want to improve this for you. We surely recognize that it can be a challenge to find an image that is working on all the different viewports.

I think you could work with custom CSS, I will ask some colleagues who actually know way better how this could be done so that I can share some options with you.

@Julian Do you have any suggestions for custom CSS options?

Hi Suvi, 

That sounds great, it would really be beneficial to a lot of platform users if this could be rolled out, as it is extremely difficult to have any creativity due to the limitations on the space that is shown when viewing on mobile. 

That other option sounds good, but also complex. So if you could get someone who could explain this is a detailed way, that would be great. 

@Julian Is there anyway this topic can be converted into an idea to allow other users to vote on it for development?

Badge

@Julian has the above happened? I’d love to upvote that idea!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

HI Greg,

thanks for flagging this to me - I must have overlooked it the last time I was mentioned here. :(

Such an idea already exists, actually:

So yeah I would be thankful if you could upvote that. Needless to say we know about this limitation and want to improve it as well. I think there might be even a solution to do this via css, but I am not sure where I saw it. If I stumble over it, I will absolutely share it with you here!

Badge

Thanks @Julian ! Upvoted!

Badge

@Julian in the meantime I’ve added a bit of custom CSS to fix the mobile issue. ( @Suvi Lehtovaara maybe no longer relevant for you with your new hero image, hopefully that wasn’t why you changed...)

We use an image with a gap in the center for the search bar and title:

Which works great on full width screens:

But then gets messed up by default on mobile:

So with this small custom CSS code:

.brand-hero {
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center;
background-color: #8D19A5;
}
.custom-hero-banner {
max-height: 12vw;
min-height:250px;
}

(Note: Background colour matches our image to ensure text is legible even before the image loads)

We ensure the experience stays consistent throughout screen sizes, like mobile:

Or tablet:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Wow, that looks amazing, Greg! Thanks a lot for sharing this here, this surely will be helpful for others in the future! :grin: Going to try this out right now on a community which could also benefit from it...

Badge

@Julian let me know if it works as planned.
I’ve made a few other small adjustments to get the 2 colour title and add a tagline in there as well, but the CSS I shared should do the trick for the image issue described in this topic.