Solved

Change member username

• 9 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello all,

How can I change a member's username? I've tried to do it in the control environment but it keeps telling me that the email is already in use. I don't want to change the email, only the username.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Julian 9 April 2019, 16:23

View original

2 replies

You go through General Settings > User overview > [Search username] > Username-field and only change that? At least for me it has worked as supposed to so far, we have problem from time to time with profanity in username so I've had to do that few times. And you have Moderation rights or such in the control?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi all,

the steps described by Patomiäs are correct, thanks for sharing this! However I know the specific error message Vanessa is getting: If there is a second user with the same email address, then you cannot save the change unless you also change the email address of this (or the other) user.

This is because we want to prevent login issues / notification issues, but also because only one account per customer is allowed.

This does not happen very often, only in very specific situations... because normally you cannot register when another user already uses the email address. You would get an error message and not be able to register.

I cannot really explain this for your community, Vanessa. Maybe you can share the account of the user which you want to change, so I can investigate?

To solve this problem:

1. Copy the email address from the user profile
  2. Go back to the [user overview]
  3. Search for this email address
  4. Change the email address of one of the two accounts

Then you can save the changes to the username as well, as the email address now is unique.

Regards,

Julian