Solved

Change best answer for a quesiton

• 15 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi there,

Is there a way we can remove the “Best answer” status once a reply is marked as best answer?

How can I do this if I’d like to change the best answer or if the best answer status is applied to an answer by mistake?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 15 March 2021, 15:02

View original

7 replies

Badge

Hey there @victorlacombe !

Yup, this should be possible to do. Super Users can’t do this as it requires at least a moderator. But you should be able to change the status fairly easily. You might need to head into Control though, as I don’t think the option will show up on the front end.

If the status is removed, the question is re-opened and unset. However, if you change the best answer instead, the thread will simply be updated to show the new one. Any points awarded will be recalculated and this may affect roles/ranks that rely on best answers.

Alternatively, one possible “hack” would be to convert the thread to a Conversation and then back to a Question. This should clear the status and reset it.

Alright, thanks for the answer pretty clear!

Badge

No worries. :)

Ideally, the preferred method is to change/remove the existing best answer if possible, in order to avoid confusion and any potential side effects (it also requires fewer clicks). As far as I’m aware, you can usually switch between Question and Conversation types without too much trouble. It’s more likely to break if you switch things to or from Idea though!

Badge +1

This actually came up for me today where the original poster marked something correct, but then realized it wasn’t and the correct answer was given later. They didn’t have the ability to unmark the correct answer on their own post. 

Badge

I will admit that I sometimes have butterfingers and have nearly accidentally marked something as a best answer before, but managed to dodge it with some clever tricks. I sometimes think that having a confirmation prompt that asks me to confirm I want to set the answer would be a good safety net.

Ideally, for best UX, I’d probably like it so that I’m only asked to confirm if I’m not the OP of that thread, so that it makes it slightly harder to make mistakes with my global best answer rights. In a way, it does make sense that changing/revoking is restricted to Moderator+ however, since it does help to prevent anyone from exploiting loopholes or abusing the system.

Tricky one really!

Badge

While I think the “unmark” could be a great option, I also really liked @Blastoise186’s idea here, so I created it.

Give it an upvote if you think it could help you!

Hey there @victorlacombe !

Yup, this should be possible to do. ...it requires at least a moderator.

Would love to give the power to the community to decide if they want to change their ‘best answer’ instead of going through a moderator. We had this functionality before in our community