Solved

Can you merge topics?

We have multiple topics that are pretty much the same. We’d like to merge them and make sure that if anyone has a link to the different (old) versions of the topics, they all end up on the merged topic page. 

icon

Best answer by arminfpop 20 July 2022, 23:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Not that I’m aware of. For example, if you look at the Ideas area, their “merged” ideas still exist. They just close one as a duplicate with a reply that indicates which one is the official idea. 

You could edit or pin a reply that links to the core topic. Or try the redirect option you asked about in your other question. 

In Control you can move a topic to a new topic or to an existing topic. I use the move to an existing from time-to-time to move stuff, blending content where needed. It might be an option depending on your use case.

Userlevel 1

Hi @tfriss ! 

It looks like there is an open idea - it has a good amount of upvotes, but we also suggest that you add your specific use-case to this idea, as it will ‘bump’ it up the chain, in terms of recent activity. This idea has a good number of votes already (31 at time of me writing this), so it definitely seems to have a good amount of traction already.

In the meantime, you can use Moderation tools to ‘archive’ older topics that are no longer relevant - you can check out this guide on how to delete a topic. Alternatively, you can also add comments to an article linking out to the ‘newer’ one and then ‘close’ the topic, so comments, questions, discussions, etc. end up in the article that you want.

One consideration to make here is that the likes, comments, helpfulness score, etc. will not ‘transfer’, so if this is something important to you for your reporting, you would want to keep this in mind!

Hope that helps!