Question

Can you have parent category only setup in knowledge base?

• 19 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I want to keep things simple at the outset of our community and take a parent-category only approach, if possible. 

Is that setup possible in the Knowledge Base? 

When I experiment with it in our control, I don’t seem to be able to publish to the parent category level, nor does it seem like the KB widget works on the homepage if there’s not published content in that category. Although you can navigate to just the parent page. 

Perhaps this could be solved by using one parent category and sub-categories only… However, then I don’t get the benefit of leveraging the “Knowledge Base” widget on the home page, which provides navigation cards only to KB parent categories. 

Ultimately what I would like is to feature 6 categories on our home page as tiles. And I do not yet have a use case to drill down further within each. Is the best way to do that via sub-categories within one parent category? If so, how do I feature sub-categories as tiles like what’s offered in the KB widget?

2 replies

Badge +1

We have a our Knowledgebase set up as a parent category, with the different sub-categories to each area. But you’re right - you can’t publish content to a parent category, so you do have to have a sub-category for your articles. You could make just one sub-category (also called Knowledgebase) and publish everything there. 

It looks like the homepage widget only features parent categories, so if you want to feature each area on the homepage, you’ll need 6 parent categories (ours are newsletters, product release notes, and knowledgebase).

Insided can provide some advice on this I’m sure (since this community features 6 tiles on the homepage).

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks, @Kgastaldo