Solved

Can the new reply indicator be enabled elsewhere?

• 21 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hiya!

This is probably a strange question, but I find the new reply indicator on inSpired really useful, but it’s not available on the OVO Forum and I can’t seem to find any traces of it on my sleeper accounts on some of the other inSided communities.

It shows up as this setting for me

And shows me when a new reply is on a topic:

Is this still being tested, or could it be enabled elsewhere?

icon

Best answer by leo-inspired 21 September 2022, 12:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @Blastoise186,

I’ve just enabled this to your community. I don’t believe this feature is still being tested, it’s been there for a while. Have a look there and please let me know if there any more questions.

Badge

Thanks Leo!

Can I be a bit cheeky and ask for it to be enabled for all new and existing users by default? It seems a bit strange to be an opt-in setting! Otherwise, works great for me and the users who’ve tested it.

And this is probably pushing the boat out, but could it be made available for every community? I don’t mind if you need to go away and ask for approval on that one!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @Blastoise186,

This discussion has already come up a few times with our engineering team - the last time I heard, they also agreed that it could be better enabled by default, but for some reason we haven't done that yet (in the past, it was due to performance issues, but I'm not sure that's still the case). I'll try to get more information on this and get back to you on it.

In terms of enabling for every community, unfortunately this is not as simple as it sounds. Some of the older/existing communities appear to be missing some minor functionalities such as this one. We're currently working on a project to audit existing communities to ensure that everything in their package is enabled, including minor features that were never added to the community. However, this must be coordinated with the Community Manager of each community to ensure that they are aware of the changes.

Another option we are thinking is to choose a specific feature each quarter and see which customers aren't using it - and we do a promotion campaign around that feature. 

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Badge

Yeah, that’s fair and sounds good to me.

If anything… The first options sounds more fair to me, as it can (hopefully) enable that missing functionality and bring the OVO Forum (and elsewhere) up to scratch with whatever is missing.

I suspect performance issues aren’t such a big issue now. You’re already tracking what threads I’ve not read since I last visited and for not sending out email alerts repeatedly, so it feels like the functionality (and performance!) for the new activity indicators is basically there now. :)