Solved

Can the Conversation Topic be Disabled or Hidden?

• 5 June 2021
  • 1 reply

I dont want ‘Conversations’ to be visible/enabled in our community when we initially launch but plan to enable that feature later on once our community gets used to using Insided. How do you do this?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 7 June 2021, 10:39

View original

1 reply

Badge

Howdy @cbeac2432 !

As far as I’m aware, I don’t think there’s actually an option to do this which I’m aware of, short of using Custom CSS to hide the element which could cause other unwanted side effects. It might be worth remembering that your Moderators can always convert Question and Conversation topics freely between both types via Control, which might be a more feasible workaround.

Question is also generally selected by default anyway whenever a new topic is created, so if users don’t change it when they post questions, they’ll always be tagged that way. It’s probably also a little easier and less hacky to do it this way too. :wink:

Generally, most users who ask questions are also pretty good at correctly selecting Question, so this shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but you can always convert any topics from Conversation to Question if needed (they’re both part of the same Community module). Likewise, you can flip the switch to make any Question topic transform into a Conversation topic too - but please bear in mind that doing so will strip the Best Answer status off the topic completely if it’s already got one, or will remove the option to mark replies as the Best Answer if it’s still open.

If you accidentally do this, don’t worry. You can flip the switch back to Question and then use Moderator rights to re-assign the best answer again - but please bear in mind that this may cause notifications to be sent out, so if you need to fix a lot of topics, you might want to temporarily suspend all related notifications via Control for a few minutes, make the changes and then re-enable notifications in Control.

I hope this helps. :)