Solved

Can email subjects be customized with phrases?

• 6 December 2018
  • 8 replies

The title says it all. Can we customize the subject text of notification emails using phrases (or any other mechanism)?
icon

Best answer by Julian 7 December 2018, 14:08

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Drew,

yes, sure, that's totally possible!

You can update the titles using our Phrases Tool (under [General settings] - [Phrases] in Control). I can guide you to the process so that you can add & change them yourself:

General

Within the Phrases page you already will see a list of "phrases" (so strings of text on your community). By clicking on "edit" you can update/delete these custom translations individually.

If there is no phrase in the list (e.g. like the email titles), then the platform will automatically use our standard translation.

How to update emails (body)

I have written a small tutorial on how to optimize the content and layout of your emails:

Step-by-step guide to update emails via phrases

Inspiration on activating email notifications

How to add custom email titles

Now to add the titles, you will have to click on [add phrase] in the top left corner of the page. Then, you will need to add a few items so that the platform knows which phrase you would like to change:

Of course you cannot know these items yourself. This is why I have attached a document with all relevant information. Let's have a look together:

Let's say you want to change the title of the "new reply" notification. In the list, you will see title and body for each email. I have highlighted the row for the title:

On the left you can see the actual translation which we use. On the right you can see the keys that you need to enter.

Note: This title uses a variable so that the email title automatically will include the individual topic title as well. So I would recommend also to use {title} in your final version for your emails.

Note 2: These variables are specifically for each email. So don't randomly add variables to emails, this will not work. Simply use these variables provided for each email.

Now that we have identified the keys and the variables, we can put it into the fields:

As you can see, I have already added a more personal text for the email title to the field in the bottom...

Now all that you have to do is hit the "save changes" button, and the updated phrase will be used for your email titles. :)

Should you have questions or issues, please let me know!

Cheers,

Julian
Whoa, cool! Thanks for the writeup.

I'll mess with this when I have a little more time.

What other yet-to-be-documented features are out there? 😎

Edit: I guess I missed this in the document when you re-uploaded it over here. Thanks again.
Hi Julian,

Should {topic_title} work in the topic_create_subject phrase?

In this case, {title} is the subcategory name.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Drew,

according to my documentation it should not work. :(

I can double-check when I am back at the office in a test environment, just to be sure. Will update you with my findings.

Cheers,

Julian
It didn't work for me, but I wanted to make sure I didn't do something incorrectly.

Thanks.
Hi Julian, have you had a chance to dig into this any further with your colleagues?
Hey Drew, only the code {title} will work in that email subject line at the moment

Hi Drew,

according to my documentation it should not work. :(

Hi Julian, Where could we find this documentation. 
I find it really hard to get all the phrases at one place and to understand what phrase correspond to what, in terms of meaning and location on the app
Thanks