Bigger 'About Me' section

Related products: None

How can I expand the ‘About Me’ field to look like it accepts paragraph(s) rather than a few words? A more detailed About Me is crucial for amping credibility and intro on people’s profiles on a Community.

Another adjoining Q: How can I reward (Ranks, badges) users who fill out their About Me?

@Julian any way we can expand on the About me field to a paragraph field? I know it accepts the vol of text fed but it looks so tiny that people don’t bother writing much.

@anirbandutta you can edit the phrases to explain it, eg

‘You can share as much as you’d like, the number of characters is no limited.’

Would that help?  

Fair point @HaikoK and thank you for that prefill text tip but still the typing experience is in the dark as you cant see what you are typing after a few words. The need is for a larger text box which is what you expect for para style entries.

Btw, the text tip allowance dont help a bit more than now :|

Fair to request this to be converted to an idea @Marion Frecaut .

User profiles are HUGE for a Community, the richer they are, the more connections they foster

@anirbandutta you might want to get a developer to take a look at the CSS and apply an “overflow-y” to it. Not sure why I’ve struggled to get it working on my own but I’m no developer.

With regards to the rank or badges based on the profile being completed, thats a great idea too, but currently I see no way to make this happen as such, but I can think of workarounds:

• For Ranks: You could however invite people to introduce themselves in a dedicated conversation topic with guidelines “share your ‘About me’ “ that way they earn the points from posting a reply,.
  • For Badges: You could dedicate a category to “Introductions” have clear instructions in a post you add to the curated list. and then you can configure your badge to be awarded to any person that creates a post in this category.

Hope this helps!

How can I reward (Ranks, badges) users who fill out their About Me?

Badges:
While I understand there is no automatic solution for this, What I would do for now is create a User Export and then you can filter the chart by users for which the field “About Me” is not blank. And then assign the badges manually. Which can be a lot of work depending on the size of the community, but I guess it should be manageable if only the minority of users does fill out that field.

Badges:
While I understand there is no automatic solution for this, What I would do for now is create a User Export and then you can filter the chart by users for which the field “About Me” is not blank. And then assign the badges manually. Which can be a lot of work depending on the size of the community, but I guess it should be manageable if only the minority of users does fill out that field.

Thanks v much @Daniele Cmty. We indeed reserve Manual badges for some other activities, like users who did their Admin certification of our Gainsight product, which the community tech has no way to know… but apart from that, for actions taken on the platform itself, you’d expect the smartness of a platform to be able to offer you these kind of controls to put the Cmgr in the driver’s seat, not be the mechanic. 

Fair to request this to be converted to an idea @Marion Frecaut .

User profiles are HUGE for a Community, the richer they are, the more connections they foster

P.S. @Marion Frecaut , I seem to have a workaround but shouldn't be a dev effort on my part to modify Insided’s UI? Could you pl convert it to an idea?

@anirbandutta done :)

Merci @Marion Frecaut !

Updated idea statusNewOpen

Badges:

Useful usecases on expanded About me section and Rewarding users who do so @Julian