Solved

Automatically awarding new badges?

• 28 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi All - I just created a bunch of new badges to recognize experts in each of our categories. Is there a way to see if anyone has met those criteria? I did the rank rebuild, but guessing that might not apply to badges? 

They are automatic, not manual.

icon

Best answer by Julian 28 May 2020, 21:42

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi,

thanks for sharing your question here! Good that you ask this as I think this has not been covered here in a dedicated topic yet.

I remember receiving questions like “why have I not received this Badge by now?” on my previous community... Normally you can check if an individual user has enough activity in a certain category to receive an automated Badge, e.g. by browsing through the list of replies / answers / topics within a users profile page in the Control environment. However I learned about an important detail: If content is being moved, it still counts for the origin category and not the destination category.

If you want to check if there are more users who could receive a Badge, do a topic / post / mark as answer export and check via pivot table how many users actually could earn a Badge. Let me know if you have troubles setting this up, then I can help you with it.

The rank rebuild will not help with Badges, these are two seperate systems. The hand rule here is:

Ranks are recalculated once a user logs in (or via the rank rebuild function)

Badges are being calculated if a user is active

I think the support team can also manually push this recalculation for Badges, but I am not sure. Let me know if you would want us to do this, then I can discuss it with the colleagues.

Badge +1

Just to update - I’ve reached out to the support team to find the issue with one user who should have received one. I could manually award it, but I’m hoping to figure out the hold up!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

thanks for the update. Sometimes it can be tricky in your position to trace back why a certain user did not receive a Badge yet - I have been in this position as well in the past. Hopefully my colleagues can sort it out for you! :)

I see this post is a couple of years old, but is there a way or an idea submitted to automatically assign a new badge to users that have performed specific functions yet??    Example, if I create a new badge for 50 replies, does it only start counting after the badge is created? No way to go back and assign to users that have already posted 50 replies?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@A11ey  I’m at a similar point. I’ve added a couple of new automatic badges but want to award members who have already reached the milestone. Is this still a manual exercise @Julian for me/support? I can’t see a better way.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Great questions. So the Badges work "retroactively”, if the system detects that a user should have a Badge based on the activity, it will assign it. The system checks this every time that a user performs an action (e.g. logs in, posts, likes).

For ranks, we do offer a button to recalculate all of this for all users, however this does not exist for Badges. You could manually assign such a Badge (via the user profile), also at scale (using the API).

Hope this helps!