Solved

Adding role to multiple user

Badge

Is there a way to do a bulk add of a custom role to users? I have a role I want to give to multiple users and don’t want to do this one by one.

icon

Best answer by olimarrio 5 August 2022, 12:52

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Unfortunately this is currently only possible via api and not directly within the Control Environment - but it surely is something on our radar to be improved, as it keeps coming back as a request.

Depending on what you want to do, you can also automatically assign custom user roles via ranks: When users receive a certain rank, they will then receive a user role automatically with it. It might not help you in this situation, but I thought it is worth mentioning.

Should you have e.g. a couple of hundred users which should receive a custom user role, and you don’t have the means to do this via api, then I think our support team would also help you further and do it for you.

@aluciani just following on from what Julian said - this API call is the only way to achieve this: https://api2-us-west-2.insided.com/docs/user/#operation/addRole - you’d have to loop through and call it for each user you wanted to update the role of :smiley:

Badge

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m going to pass on the API option for now.

Badge

@aluciani great minds…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is there a way to do a bulk add of a custom role to users? I have a role I want to give to multiple users and don’t want to do this one by one.

Unfortunately this is currently only possible via api and not directly within the Control Environment - but it surely is something on our radar to be improved, as it keeps coming back as a request.

Any news, when we can get this feature to the Control?

Btw, I dont know how to use API´s, I havent used them at all. Do you have instructions anywhere? I know I can do harm, a lot, but I am carefull :D

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @aluciani & @revote 👋,

I have good news! We will soon be releasing the ability to add custom roles in bulk (alongside some other actions) from the user overview, so there’s no need to do this via the API now.

Make sure to subscribe to our Product Updates so that you don’t miss this, but I expect this to be released within the next month.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @aluciani & @revote 👋,

I have good news! We will soon be releasing the ability to add custom roles in bulk (alongside some other actions) from the user overview, so there’s no need to do this via the API now.

Make sure to subscribe to our Product Updates so that you don’t miss this, but I expect this to be released within the next month.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Hi @olimarrio - are you able point to the Product update mentioned here? I am having trouble finding it.

In essence, we are trying to figure out if a ‘Custom role’ can be automatically provisioned instead of the need to register and assign? Or any articles related to help solving this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @ryanne.perry ?,

I certainly am! The functionality is described here:

And specifically this section:

You’ll be able to see this in the top right of the user overview after selecting users:

I recognise this is still a manual process but if you want to automate, there are two ways that our customers most commonly go about achieving this:

1. Utilising SSO. You are able to include a Custom Role parameter in the SSO payload that is sent to inSided which is able to automatically assign and update custom roles. This of course relies on this data existing within your SSO server.
  2. Using a tool like Zapier, it’s possible to check a new registration in Salesforce and apply a custom role based on the data in Salesforce, e.g. if the user is of type ‘customer’.

Let us know if either of these methods work for you or we can explore alternatives that work for your tech stack.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What comes to bulk action, I wish I can use .CSV file where users and their roles are listed. When I upload this file to inSided, the platform add roles to the users at once.

Example:

User 1, Role 1

User 2, Role 1

User 3, Role 3

Khoros has this feature and it is handy when you have to add bunch of users to certain role at once.