Question

Adding links to images

• 29 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Instead of simply guiding our members to different pages (outside of our community) by adding a link to a piece of text, we wanted to add a little bit more flair by creating buttons and images to click.

However when we add the image to a post and add the link, it won’t open simply by clicking the image. Instead an image preview opens.

Is there a workaround for this? Can we somehow disable the image preview? Adding the link itself seems to work, since right clicking the image and choosing to open the link in a new tab actually opens the correct page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Yannick!

Thanks for sharing your question here. Unfortunately it took me a bit to find out more about this, as I also was a bit confused that the editor offers the option to add a hyperlink to an image (and it also did not work in the tests I ran).

My colleagues have confirmed to me that the editor does currently not support adding hyperlinks to images - the behaviour when clicking on an image (enlarged detailed view) is correct.

Of course I have given the feedback that it is not ideal to then offer the hyperlink-menu when this is not supported, also that it would be nice to have this functionality added in the future.

So I hope that I will be able to give you an update on this once this is possible, however it does not seem to be something that can be added quick - also as there are other improvements to the editor which we regard as having a bigger impact on the editor experience (e.g. re-sizing images).

Badge

I wanted to re-surface this post as I often get requests to add URL links to images inserted in articles.

I would also like to re-surface this post. @Julian is this possible yet?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Unfortunately not. I encourage you to upvote this idea, it is pretty popular and given that there are not many other ideas (left) that are that popular, chances are getting higher as well that such a popular idea will be discussed as potential roadmap item as well. :slight_smile:

Badge

@Julian I know its probably not the ideal process BUT the WYSIWYG does not strip div tags with a simple class. So in my tests as we were evaluating the federated search vs. placeholder pages for external content I played around with that idea, so we could have a big CTA for the placeholder pages going to the external content.
I managed to add a simple javascript to search through for this class and add a button to my text links upon page load. (Sadly I didn’t manage with just CSS). Might be useful for people that opt to have placeholder pages…