Solved

Adding a "create a topic/post" button lower down on the screen

• 12 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Is it possible to add a Create a post button lower down on the page than the one in the top header? I have been running some beta calls with some of our early adopters prior to launching in January and the main thing coming back is that the create button is not in the expected place when a user is in a category itself. they are expecting it to be at the top of the category feed. I can’t find a way to customise the category pages in this way, is it possible?

Thanks!

Ellie

icon

Best answer by olimarrio 13 December 2022, 14:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think you are talking about the desktop view? I agree, I would like to see it in a place where it feels more natural for the users.

I think you are talking about the desktop view? I agree, I would like to see it in a place where it feels more natural for the users.

Hi, 

yes in the desktop view. As soon as the user scrolls down the screen a little to see the feeds, the create topic button is off screen and when I have run sessions to gather feedback and watch how people use the site, there is clear confusion over where to go because they need to scroll back to the top.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am not sure is this possible to do with some custom code, maybe someone can help us?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @ellie.jordan.rh 👋,

There’s a couple of ways to go about this and as @revote mentioned they would involve custom code.

1. I would recommend adding a sidebar widget via Control → Customization → Sidebar. Then add a custom HTML widget to your General Sidebar which includes a CTA and button to create a new topic. Much like we have done here (although we’ve added to the Topic Sidebar):

Custom HTML Topic Sidebar. CTA for users to ask a question
  2. Another method could be to make the mega menu sticky. You can find a useful tutorial for how to achieve this here but essentially it involves fixing the position of the mega menu and then adding some padding to the content below so that it is always visible. This way, the create topic button will always be visible.

If you’re looking for another specific place to add the button, I would encourage you to raise an idea, as trying to do this via custom code would be too fragile and tricky to maintain as our product evolves.

Let me know if you need any help or have any more questions 😁

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There’s a couple of ways to go about this and as @revote mentioned they would involve custom code.

1. I would recommend adding a sidebar widget via Control → Customization → Sidebar. Then add a custom HTML widget to your General Sidebar which includes a CTA and button to create a new topic. Much like we have done here (although we’ve added to the Topic Sidebar):

2. Another method could be to make the mega menu sticky. You can find a useful tutorial for how to achieve this here but essentially it involves fixing the position of the mega menu and then adding some padding to the content below so that it is always visible. This way, the create topic button will always be visible.

These are my favorites.

I have to test adding the HTML widget.

I have to say that sticky mega menu brings the Create topic button available for the users and addition, users doesnt have to scroll up/down so much. Sadly this requires a developer.