Solved

active since last visit

• 27 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, I’d like to use the “active since last visit” in an email to users, similar to the updates from Insided.

The problem is, when the user is not logged in, the link doesn’t show much.

Can I change the phrases on this page? I would encourage the user to login at least.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Julian 30 July 2020, 13:09

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi,

thanks for sharing your question. I have checked and you can actually change this text easily by activating the phrases mode in the front-end (via the toggle in the bottom right).

So this is not only looking like this in logged-out state. You can recreate this by logging out and then logging back in. If you then click on the link, there will be no activity since your logout and you can alter the text.

However, be aware that the text strings “We couldn’t find any results for” and “Please try again or create a topic” are also being used for search queries with 0 results. So the text should also match for this scenario.

Let me know if there are any more questions or issues regarding this!

Ok, thanks @Julian !

I haven’t edited phrases “the new way” yet, it’s much easier indeed :)

Good to know that some of the strings are reused.

This sort of worked, but didn’t get quite what I needed.  I tried using html to link to “/member/login”, which seemed to work in the “active since last visit” page but not the “no search results” page.

Is there a place holder I can use in the phrases to link to the login page? Or another idea?

Basically I want to give them a hint if they’re just not logged in, so they don’t immediately exit the page, thinking there is no activity.

Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Do I understand you correct that the link is visible on the last activity page, but not on the search results page? I cannot see it in the last activity page either, but maybe you removed it again…

It could be that some pages allow html, while others don’t. So this phrase apparently does not allow you to set a hyperlink on the search results page. You also have to bare in mind that this message is displayed to users who might are logged in already (e.g. if they search for something that does not exist on your community.

One thing that might work: You could change the last sentence to something like:

Tip: In case you are not logged in, you might see more results after a login.

This way the phrasing still makes sense on the search results page, also without the login hyperlink.

That’s right, the html link worked on the last activity page, but came up as gibberish on the search page.

I’ll use your suggestion, thanks!

Badge

Hi @Julian , is there a way to enable active since last visit to registered users too? I think in my community is only admins who see this on the menu. 

Cheers. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I just double-checked as there are usually no restrictions to this - if you are logged in, this button should be visible. So I just tried and logged in with my account (I am not an admin apparently as I cannot e.g. see the button to switch to control) and I can see the button in the menu:

Maybe you can elaborate how you came to suspect this is not displayed for registered users? Hopefully just a misunderstanding, happy to help if necessary!

Badge

My bad @Julian. Not sure at which point I couldn’t see it, but it’s definitely there now! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

no worries, glad to hear that everything is working as expected! :)