Gang, I have an idea that I have no idea how to execute. Can you help?
I always find gamification to be a little bit lacklustre. Points are, ultimately, meaningless and badges are a nice point of pride but, again, they don’t do anything. I’ve even had feedback from members to say that they’re more annoying than useful.
What if there was a third system informed by the points and badges system, designed to encourage intense progression across the community user journey and reward very specific behaviours?
💪 ENTER POWER-UPS 💪
Power-ups work like this:
- A Community member does something amazing. As they do. They submit an incredible guide, write some thought-leadership or set up a networking discussion.
- Once that post reaches a certain number of likes or replies, they earn a power-up!
- The power-up gives them a one-shot dose of something amazing and useful. It might be a ticket to an industry event, a month of an upgraded product tier or even a 30 minute call with a thought-leader in your space.
- They can activate it for themselves or, importantly, they can gift it to another member or a colleague to give them a boost that month
Now I really want to prototype this, but I’m stumped as to how to do it. The challenges are:
- Automatically detecting the criteria that reward the power-up (likes/comments on a specific post)
- Awarding the power-up (the user needs to know they’ve earned it as soon as they’ve earned it)
- Redemption or gifting (each power up is a one-shot. They also need to be able to send it to someone else)
- Visually displaying that the user earned a powerup for their submission (social proof)
What systems/processes could I make use of to try this out on a small scale?