Solved

Open / 3rd-party badging integration and metadata? (Credly)

• 14 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, our enablement organization is rolling out Credly digital badging for our certifications.  

Is there any way to post a badge with metadata included (hyperlink back to a Credly profile) or just the static visual?

Has anyone else done anything with open badging standards?

I can provide more details if that would help. Our certification events aren’t super-dynamic so we aren’t looking for a full integration at this stage.  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 17 May 2021, 17:07

View original

9 replies

You should be able to integrate the two via APIs on both sides. In inSided you can aware a badge using the API https://api2-eu-west-1.insided.com/docs/user/#operation/awardBadge or revoke a badge as well. Whatever the certification trigger is on the Credly side is should be able to trigger an action on the inSided side. I don’t think, based on the API that you’d be able to include a link back to a Credly profile. My guess is that you’d have to have the same badges setup on both systems. Would chat with someone on your engineering side to explore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JKelley , @Scott Baldwin such a solace to find this discussion.

Massive usecase for us too and so glad to find this discussion already.

Have you tried this Scott?

Has anyone on the Community tried this on their community?

If not this is such a Winner OOTB integration case for Community users…. foray all that traffic and engagement back from Social onto the Community user profile, Program description for the badge, etc.

I’d go so far as to even implement the Credly model

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I know @Dkreiger has sensed the potential boom of this synergy Community + ext socmed for Certification badges :) 

@anirbandutta not this particular use case, but we do award badges using the API in our community. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@anirbandutta not this particular use case, but we do award badges using the API in our community. 

Do you mean bulk Manual badge assignments @Scott Baldwin or you have cracked the way to integrate w Cedly?

@anirbandutta we only currently use the API to award badges in bulk. For example, we’re currently using it to award a badge to folks that land on our leaderboard over the course of our community anniversary month. We don’t use Credly, but have future plans to be able to use the API to trigger badges when there are completed activities in our academy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow… such similar goals!

Just looking for a solution to a Credly integration myself, wondering if anyone has any more recent Credly integrations with Community and how that is working?

Were you able to use the API to trigger badges when there are completed activities in your academy? How could I do this?